Why do we use a compressor when the eq does the same function ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAK

I understand that a compressor limits dynamic range it makes the high peaks of a sound lower in volume to match the signal low parts

But why cant i use an eq to lower the high peaks ??

If the bass was too loud and it has high peaks we use a compressor to limit the high peaks

But why dont we use an eq to just lower the bass amplitude ??

Kind of confused between eq and compressor

I would be thankful if someone simply explained

Last edited:
A (regular) compressor responds to high volume peaks (or whatever surpasses the threshold level), not high frequency peaks - theoretically it's like an automated volume knob that reacts to, well, volume. Also, an EQ doesn't react to anything automatically by default.

If for example we have a scale of 2 bars consisting of 8 notes and all of them are the same volume except one of them is very loud...
why dont we use an eq to lower that single note ?? Why should we use a compressor

I mean why use a compressor when we can manually lower that loud sound’s amplitude using the eq ???

But cant i lower those high peaks of volume by knowing their frequency and manually lowering their amplitude from the eq ???

Please don't repost the same thread/question multiple times. It will be removed if so. If you don't like the answers given here, it is incumbent on you to explore the reasons "why" with real world experience. Which is what I posted above ^^^^. In other words-- If you don't believe us, try it, and then decide for yourself.

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back