Why Do every body wanna use protools

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, you need to chill on the redbull.

Second, the reason everyone wants to use Pro Tools is because it is the most comprehensive DAW for Professional Engineers. It does more. It is more powerful. It is an industry standard. The list goes on.

There are alot of guys here that will shit on Pro Tools but honestly, it is because they don't have the chops or the knowledge to hack it. And frankly, your communication skills lead me to believe that you don't either. Get Record.

What exactly does that "more" and "more powerful" involve? It's not the first time I've seen these vague terms being thrown around about PT but no one ever actually explains any of it. Just genuinely curious.

If we're talking about more powerful and you don't know what I mean, then you've never used a Pro Tools HD system. I'm talking about TDM. Google it. And Pro Tools HD has unique delay compensation - it is better and more accurate than other DAWs.

But what I really mean is, you could put me in the room with the best you have on Reaper, and I will utterly embarass them on a Pro Tools system. I will get it sounding better, faster. Because it is better. Sorry. But industry standard doesn't mean 'most expensive' or 'most complicated' it means its better. I've f*cked with numerous other DAWs and they just are not better. Period. Everyone has their preference and that is fine. But the fact remains that the majority of those who come on here to shit on Pro Tools is because it is A. Too expensive for them or B. They don't have the chops or knowledge to hack it.

Case closed.

^^^But this is the B.S. that comes along.

You're referring to real time audio. That's where you lose the convo because you're saying "more accurate" without knowing what the next guy is using.

It's not "more accurate" than my fostex multitracker. Not even "more accurate" than Cubase5 dep[endiong on your computer's capabilities(research is key, 64bit, engine rebuilt from ground up, and VST3 will f**k your life up). And no offense, but I checked your soundclick...I could f**k up everything you think you know with FL Stock and a Creative soundcard. Not bad, but typical of producers who make statements like you just did.

I don't know every DAW to make such a bold statement as you did. But keep in mind Pro Tools is very primative in todays world of software because of it's limitation to a 32bit enviroment.

As for TDM, that ain't doing nothing a DSP Card won't in the right setup.

And how would you not have the "chops and knowlege" to know Pro Tools if you understand any other DAW from Logic to Live to Magix Music Maker that has a transpose, routing, automation lanes, and plug in support JUST LIKE PRO TOOLS?

Nothing mystical about the sh*t, but thanks for proving my prior point about needing it because folk are convinced it's magical. Folk like you are the reason I never get to use SONAR.

You won't get an HD system for under $10-12k US Retail. You can buy SONAR V-Studio for $4k and get the same list of options you get in HD.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the Pro Tools hype is all about excellent marketing. Just look at the product-name: It's a perfect seller. Not sure if any kind of tool could have a better name than "Pro Tools". Of course, people directly associate the term with "that's what the pro's use".

Another point is Digidesigns' constant focus on "the industry standard" in their claims and ads.

Not sure if everybody knows that no product name and ad has to reflect reality. A lie is not a crime, especially not in marketing. In my experience, ads are ALWAYS wrong and have a strong manipulative message.

That's the reason why you'll find so many people telling "PT is the best", but no one of these will be able to explain why. In fact, all they'll do is repeating these marketing claims - rhetorical constructions made to manipulate your decisions and prejudices.

In any way, I do not think that Digidesign is a very innovative company, nor are their products.

Fact one is, PT never was a standard. All their products are far too proprietary to become a practical standard.

Fact two is, the nr. one exchange format in a professional context are a bunch of wav files on a DVD. I never ever saw a professional studio (in the sense of "people earn their money with it") rejecting any kind of client because of a format issue.

Fact three, I also never had a band/producer asking for protools. People work with you because they trust you - not because of a certain piece of gear.

Fact four, Pro tools never had any kind of technological leadership at any time. Their product line is in fact one of the most restricted available - the software is far from being impressive beside cubase and logic. Their DSP cards are slow like crazy, any cheap computer can replace dozens of them - at a fraction of the price. Even the hardware is far from being "high-end" and you're restricted to their "mainframes".

It may be different in the states, but most people here in Europe use cubase, live and logic.

Anyway, ads are not very educative IMO. The worst is when people read ads like religious texts - perfect brainwash.

Last edited:
^^^You know as well as I do Americans aren't the most open minded. I will say I made prior statements only considering the american hip hop/rnb scene. Those are the guys who will not deal with you if you don't use pro tools from novice to pro. I've never dealt with anyone outside the U.S. who needed everything in Pro Tools sessions.

But I've never gone to sell a beat to a guy overseas and got haggled after they realize I use FL either. :cheers:

^^^But this is the B.S. that comes along.

You're referring to real time audio. That's where you lose the convo because you're saying "more accurate" without knowing what the next guy is using.

It's not "more accurate" than my fostex multitracker. Not even "more accurate" than Cubase5 dep[endiong on your computer's capabilities(research is key, 64bit, engine rebuilt from ground up, and VST3 will f**k your life up). And no offense, but I checked your soundclick...I could f**k up everything you think you know with FL Stock and a Creative soundcard. Not bad, but typical of producers who make statements like you just did.

I don't know every DAW to make such a bold statement as you did. But keep in mind Pro Tools is very primative in todays world of software because of it's limitation to a 32bit enviroment.

As for TDM, that ain't doing nothing a DSP Card won't in the right setup.

And how would you not have the "chops and knowlege" to know Pro Tools if you understand any other DAW from Logic to Live to Magix Music Maker that has a transpose, routing, automation lanes, and plug in support JUST LIKE PRO TOOLS?

Nothing mystical about the sh*t, but thanks for proving my prior point about needing it because folk are convinced it's magical. Folk like you are the reason I never get to use SONAR.

You won't get an HD system for under $10-12k US Retail. You can buy SONAR V-Studio for $4k and get the same list of options you get in HD.

Lol I have a list of problems with this post.
-you're implying that since a program is 64bit, that makes it better. Wrong.
-you're implying that HD's delay compensation is based in 'real time'. Wrong (speaking of doing your research first)
-you're claiming to know how I mix because you've gone to my soundclick page. Lol wrong again.
-you claim that TDM is the same as a DSP chip. Wrong once more.
(If you can tell me what TDM even stands for without googling it, I'll respect what you've said here - we're on the honor system here)

You are only furthering my point, that (most) those that shit on PT lack the knowledge and the skills. But you're not alone bro.

I been telling ppl to stop ****ing with fruity loops and get on Ableton Live 8 but you all don't wanna hear me.

All I'm saying is, it's easy to shit on something popular (oh you've only got pro tools cuz you heard it's good, or it's the most expensive, etc) when you don't know shit about it. I read a lot of books bro. And I'm not the only one that says Pro Tools is the best DAW. In fact, that seems universally known everywhere except here where frankly, a lot of people don't know what the f*ck they are talking about.

I guess the problem is that a lot of people do have PT - non-HD, mind you - because they "heard it's the best" and thinking that everything that may apply to HD applies to LE/M-P as well. That's my only problem with the whole thing, really. People making uninformed decisions based on hype.

But I still haven't heard anything but vague claims about the PT|HD magic, even though I even know what TDM stands for (but have no idea whether the fixed-bandwidth system is any more effective or all that different than other DSP solutions). Drop us the knowledge :)

If we're talking about more powerful and you don't know what I mean, then you've never used a Pro Tools HD system. I'm talking about TDM. Google it. And Pro Tools HD has unique delay compensation - it is better and more accurate than other DAWs.

But what I really mean is, you could put me in the room with the best you have on Reaper, and I will utterly embarass them on a Pro Tools system. I will get it sounding better, faster. Because it is better. Sorry. But industry standard doesn't mean 'most expensive' or 'most complicated' it means its better. I've f*cked with numerous other DAWs and they just are not better. Period. Everyone has their preference and that is fine. But the fact remains that the majority of those who come on here to shit on Pro Tools is because it is A. Too expensive for them or B. They don't have the chops or knowledge to hack it.

Case closed.

Let me get this straight.

You spent 10 grand on pro tools HD (which i doubt), bragging how superior this DAW is...and all you come up with is the shit on your soundclick page?

Way to go son. :rofl:

Even established musicians will tell you, that the HD package is just way to overpriced, PERIOD.
Stop flexin and let your music speak for itself...cuz right now, you're looking like a real douchebag.

Last edited:
I guess the problem is that a lot of people do have PT - non-HD, mind you - because they "heard it's the best" and thinking that everything that may apply to HD applies to LE/M-P as well. That's my only problem with the whole thing, really. People making uninformed decisions based on hype.

But I still haven't heard anything but vague claims about the PT|HD magic, even though I even know what TDM stands for (but have no idea whether the fixed-bandwidth system is any more effective or all that different than other DSP solutions). Drop us the knowledge :)

See this I can totally agree with. Sure there are the misinformed masses. And let me also say that there are things that other DAWs do way better than PT - but most of that is workflow related.
For instance, I'd never make a beat in PT. I use Live for that. Production workflow is way better in live.

I'm not that man that's going to tell you that you're doing it wrong if you don't have gear/software X Y or Z. I'm just saying, I get sick of hearing 'Pro Tools sucks' when you can't tell me why.

And I gotta throw this out there, I've worked in a lot of different studios using a lot of diff DAWs and I ALWAYS find myself saying 'what?? U can't do that??' Or 'oh shit you gotta do all that just to get this done?'

Sure you can get the same results from Cubase or whatever the hell you use. But that doesn't necessarily make them equal.

That's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Let me get this straight.

You spent 10 grand on pro tools HD (which i doubt), bragging how superior this DAW is...and all you come up with is the shit on your soundclick page?

Way to go son. :rofl:

Even established musicians will tell you, that the HD package is just way to overpriced, PERIOD.
Stop flexin and let your music speak for itself...cuz right now, you're looking like a real douchebag.

If you really went to my soundclick, listened to everything and didn't like my music (which i doubt), then hey. What can i say to argue that?

Still doesn't change the facts.

I don't own pro tools HD i work on it at my job. I didn't say it's cheap. And nothing about Pro Tools makes you better creatively. Your point is Pro Tools is bad because it's expensive?

That's exactly what i said people are saying, and here you come in and say it. You're only proving my point bro.

See this I can totally agree with. Sure there are the misinformed masses. And let me also say that there are things that other DAWs do way better than PT - but most of that is workflow related.
For instance, I'd never make a beat in PT. I use Live for that. Production workflow is way better in live.

I'm not that man that's going to tell you that you're doing it wrong if you don't have gear/software X Y or Z. I'm just saying, I get sick of hearing 'Pro Tools sucks' when you can't tell me why.

And I gotta throw this out there, I've worked in a lot of different studios using a lot of diff DAWs and I ALWAYS find myself saying 'what?? U can't do that??' Or 'oh shit you gotta do all that just to get this done?'

Sure you can get the same results from Cubase or whatever the hell you use. But that doesn't necessarily make them equal.

That's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

If you really went to my soundclick, listened to everything and didn't like my music (which i doubt), then hey. What can i say to argue that?

Still doesn't change the facts.

I don't own pro tools HD i work on it at my job. I didn't say it's cheap. And nothing about Pro Tools makes you better creatively. Your point is Pro Tools is bad because it's expensive?

That's exactly what i said people are saying, and here you come in and say it. You're only proving my point bro.

I never said PT is a bad piece of software.
I believe the HD version is too overpriced for it's content.

Now you're saying PT is BETTER than any other DAW which is bullshit.
There's nothing special about the engine that will make your music sound any better than on DAW "XYZ".
PT is just a host...that's all.

Ever heard of the placebo effect?

I've come to the realization that people don't understand simple things because of what they're doing with their life.

If you don't know what you're doing, pro tools will more than likely give you a more professional sound because most pro recordings are done in it

by the way, this is complete and utter bullshit.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I never said PT is a bad piece of software.
I believe the HD version is too overpriced for it's content.

Now you're saying PT is BETTER than any other DAW which is bullshit.
There's nothing special about the engine that will make your music sound any better than on DAW "XYZ".
PT is just a host...that's all.

Ever heard of the placebo effect?

Really. I said pro tools "sounds better than DAW XYZ". Show me where i said that.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Look i know this site is very anti-pro tools because of it's popularity, price, etc. But my point stands.

(Most)People who will shit on Pro Tools don't know what they're talking about.

If you don't know the technology behind PTHD research it.

I'm not going to argue with the entire Future Producers community over this, when the information is available to you if you'd just look instead of saying shit like "I hate pro tools because advertisements/engineers/artists say it's the best and i don't agree"

by the way, this is complete and utter bullshit.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Really. I said pro tools "sounds better than DAW XYZ". Show me where i said that.

Case closed.

You said it's BETTER than any other DAW.

You frontin like anybody who shits on pt can't afford it themselves, has lack of knowledge, etc. bla bla...yet you don't own a HD version yourself...what the **** are you trying to prove then?

And yes...your beats sound like garbage...there i said it.

I've seen a lot of cats on gearslutz frontin like you over pt being better than anything else. But atleast them dudes can back up their comments with some quality music.

Last edited:
calling someone ghetto or dumbass isnt even close or a term for any race of people you need to learn the diff between being stupid and racist. Sorry i dont know how to type this any other way so you would understand this. Im not even sure how you got online. Either way your blocked.

As someone who grew up in the hood, we dont like "ghetto" to be used as an insult, its very racist and degrading, if you dont understand that then refrain from you using it.

But anyways, Back to the topic, i like protools, i dont know why, i do use cubase but only for production, vstis etc. Protools to me is more in your face, i dont believe programs give a "sound" but honestly, i cant achieve the mixes i do on any other software

It's all about what you use and how you use it....to say one DAW is better than another or more powerful than another is just silly. Just because someone doesn't believe PT is the best DAW in the world doesn't mean they think it sucks. I use Nuendo, Logic, Cubase, PT Le, & PT HD. It's only widely used now because it is easy to just open up a session from another PT setup. Most people that I mess with in the industry use Logic honestly...

once again get a f u c k ing life and get over it jesus you need to get some help may i suggest dr phil ha ha lol if any body is stupid it would be you criticizing how i type what a stupid retard

please don't use the Lord's name in vain.. to argue with folks.. thank you have a blessed life...
Cubase for life...

Lol I have a list of problems with this post.
-you're implying that since a program is 64bit, that makes it better. Wrong.
-you're implying that HD's delay compensation is based in 'real time'. Wrong (speaking of doing your research first)
-you're claiming to know how I mix because you've gone to my soundclick page. Lol wrong again.
-you claim that TDM is the same as a DSP chip. Wrong once more.
(If you can tell me what TDM even stands for without googling it, I'll respect what you've said here - we're on the honor system here)

You are only furthering my point, that (most) those that shit on PT lack the knowledge and the skills. But you're not alone bro.

I been telling ppl to stop ****ing with fruity loops and get on Ableton Live 8 but you all don't wanna hear me.

All I'm saying is, it's easy to shit on something popular (oh you've only got pro tools cuz you heard it's good, or it's the most expensive, etc) when you don't know shit about it. I read a lot of books bro. And I'm not the only one that says Pro Tools is the best DAW. In fact, that seems universally known everywhere except here where frankly, a lot of people don't know what the f*ck they are talking about.

I don't know what TDM stands for. Time division something. Don't care. It's a fancy rephrase for hardware timing that's found in any digital recording hardware(DSP Cards, Workstation DAWs, ect.). It's nothing "complex" about it.

And what does Ableton vs. FL have to do with this equasion when both are software that run based on the computer they're on?

64bit processing opens alot of doors for more advanced EVERYTHING when dealing with audio since you wanted to argue the minute details. Faster processing, more powerful effects, list goes on. That's not to say it makes a huge difference, but huger than the jump in quality you'd assume Pro Tools gives you over other things.

As for my prior statement on presets. You must not have set thru too many novice sessions in major studios. Major artists book a session. Go in, lay down vocals. Apply effects from presets using the factory plugs in pro tools so that they can later get it mixed without hassle, and are left with a song mixed using nothing but factory pro tools effects. That doesn't make it "better" it makes the sounds found in pro tools effects more common. That's the equivalent to saying in 2000 if you had a triton you most likely had the sounds on your favorite rap record.

Last edited:
the fact remains that the majority of those who come on here to shit on Pro Tools is because it is A. Too expensive for them or B. They don't have the chops or knowledge to hack it

i disagree.

but hey, since you're kicking the FACTS and not OPINION, i guess what you're saying is etched in stone.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I checked your soundclick...I could f**k up everything you think you know with FL Stock and a Creative soundcard

can't say dog didn't bring it on himself for his off-brand statements...

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

If you don't know the technology behind PTHD research it

just knowing the "technology" behind something doesn't make a difference in your sound, style, creativity, etc.

someone can know "everything" about PTHD and still not make dope shit.

^^^But see, this is why I hate discussions up here. I don't remember dictionary terms because of all the beer I consume so folk assume the know more than me from reading advertising brochures that convince you something is better than it is.

TDM is simply hardware based FX. Structured similar to DSP FX. If this is HD's "big selling point" to you, you should go get a frikkin UAD card or Receptor system and save yourself $10k.

While most Daws run "virtual playback" that is not going to be 100% accurate(but barely noticeable), I'm the 1st to say Pro Tools ran a realistic playback(real time audio) of your audio. But this is not 2001. Now because of the speed of computers you can even run Fl in top quality playback modes where it's so close to what the actual file will sound like it could fool a null test. And FYI those TDM plugs will run your pockets for the same latency compensation you get out the vst versions that are hundreds cheaper.

The new Cubase is real time audio. not sure about other programs because this is the nitpick stuff folk use to argue what's better when it don't really make a damn difference. But I do know many software sequencers have now integrated hardware(just like HD) to give all options HD covers at fractions of the price.

I'm not knocking Pro Tools, I started off defending it. But this is the misinformation that amazes me. Glad you guys got to see the guys who keep me from running SONAR on a daily basis so that you know I wasn't making things up. They're really out there and really this petty. Someone else will come in and think they're correcting me, but say the same thing I just said in 3....2....

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

As someone who grew up in the hood, we dont like "ghetto" to be used as an insult, its very racist and degrading, if you dont understand that then refrain from you using it.
Not sure where you're from, but where I'm from we had jokes like "yo' mama so ghetto". Never was a racist term. We were as "ghetto" as the come, but still used it as a term for someone doing something socially incorrect. I'm sure dude meant notrhing by it, it's obvious, so let's not dwell on it. He could be from a place where nuns rob you for crack money for all we know, so how do you know he has no right to use the word, lol.

No offense, just being humerous. :cheers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back