Who Uses Antares Tube And How Do You Use It?

K

King of Kings

Recently you probably seen me posting things about my friend that uses a Audio Technica 3035. Well he found the antares tube and told me to ask ya'll how ya'll use it and what are some of ya'll presets or advice using it.

"Off" is the best preset I've used on it. Terrible sounding thing.

if he doesnt know how to use it... and hasnt read the book.. its probably pirated.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
"Off" is the best preset I've used on it. Terrible sounding thing.

I wholeheartedly endorse this statement. It's a piece. The only way to really get "tube" sound is with well, tubes (DISCLAIMER: NOT A STATEMENT OF FACT, JUST AN OPINION.)

While we're on the topic I'll mention Antares Mic Modeler. This is the plugin that claims to model your mic after a number of top-dollar mics such as TLMs etc. I remember several years back when I was trying to learn how to properly record and mix vocals, Antares was a big buzzword among people on my AIM list and various forums. People that recommended it said it would make your cheap mic sound like a million dollars, so naturally I was curious. It ended up being the worst plugin I'd ever heard. It sucked all the warmth and well, humanity out of everyones voices and made them sound like robots. It should be a pretty big clue when they claim they can make an $80 dynamic sound like a $2000 Neumann, but people still fell for it. Stay far, far away from this piece.

King of Kings said:
Recently you probably seen me posting things about my friend that uses a Audio Technica 3035. Well he found the antares tube and told me to ask ya'll how ya'll use it and what are some of ya'll presets or advice using it.

Ok, I will be real with you. If you look at it as an effect and only an effect it does it's job. It will NOT enhance the sound quality at all.
In fact it does the reverse.

You gotta remember tubes add distortion.
Distortion is distortion, I don't care if we are talking about an Avalon preamp, fender guitar amp or a plugin.So the qustion is why would you pay 3 G's for a Tube pre-amp
if it degrades ? It's how it degarges it. musical Distortion
It gives a character (Warm ect) to it.

I have seen antares tube used nicey. It was used in combination
with a telephone EQ affect for backing rock vocals on a chorus.
and it worked out well.

dang, now some old schoola is going to come thrash me on this.....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to be a preamp emulation, but it sucks big time. It has a horrible distorted scratchy tube emulation, and really shouldn't be used for anything.

You want a good emulation of a tube pre/limiter, try Crysonic's Spectra Phy http://www.crysonic.com/spectraphy.html they're not the biggest company, so I'd hope you buy their product it's only $40 and support them. Alot of these companies you guys are ripping off won't be around long because of it.

If a company gives you a quality product, why not buy it?

i brought this plugin i use it only on my synth fx channels it does add some soft of warmth to the sound but u gotta play with the eq to get a good gooood warm sounding sound it dosent compare to the vacum tubes in my electribe sx-1 though

Back