When is the right time to start mastering a track??

VortX

Alright, I've been producing music in my home for quite a long time now and yet, this is a question that I constantly ask myself! WHEN SHOULD I START MASTERING MY TRACK? Some people prefer mastering the track after all the mixing, as a single (RAW) master file. Also, I've seen producers master their tracks as they mix their tracks (Even HARDWELL masters his tracks on the go). I master my tracks after mixing the whole track. But I'm not sure if it's the right way to do it. So, I just some clarification on this.

Thanks
- VortX :o

Because that is the definition of mastering. Anything else that Hardwell or Softwell or anyone else does is mixing, or perhaps even "individual track optimization," but it is not mastering.

GJ

You by definition don't master while you're making the track.. mixing and mastering are technically the same things (similar goals, similar tools) so it's more about the distinction you make yourself.
This track is done, time to mix. This mix is done, time to master.

Real mastering is always best done by another pair of ears and hands too... the 'second opinion' part matters a lot.
Mastering also involves producing the actual master files, applying a consistent balance to an entire set of tracks (eg. an album)... maybe even producing different version for different purposes (HD-audio, louder, softer). It's really about finalizing the product, making it a release-ready package.
If you hire a really high-end top class mastering engineer, some of them will want to get involved in the entire recording and production process. I know that for instance Mandy Parnell does that and considers herself something like the guardian of the entire process, making sure it's done to the highest standard from the beginning right up to when it hits the stores.

That said, it definitely helps to be aware of mastering and there is a lot you can do while making and mixing the track to ensure a great master.. where the engineer can do their job, instead of just troubleshooting yours. Making sure you hit the appropriate levels without incidental peaks. Making sure you don't squash every dynamic to bits or blow out your stereo image with artificial wideners... in short: mix the damn thing right.

You by definition don't master while you're making the track.. mixing and mastering are technically the same things (similar goals, similar tools) so it's more about the distinction you make yourself.
This track is done, time to mix. This mix is done, time to master.

Real mastering is always best done by another pair of ears and hands too... the 'second opinion' part matters a lot.
Mastering also involves producing the actual master files, applying a consistent balance to an entire set of tracks (eg. an album)... maybe even producing different version for different purposes (HD-audio, louder, softer). It's really about finalizing the product, making it a release-ready package.
If you hire a really high-end top class mastering engineer, some of them will want to get involved in the entire recording and production process. I know that for instance Mandy Parnell does that and considers herself something like the guardian of the entire process, making sure it's done to the highest standard from the beginning right up to when it hits the stores.

That said, it definitely helps to be aware of mastering and there is a lot you can do while making and mixing the track to ensure a great master.. where the engineer can do their job, instead of just troubleshooting yours. Making sure you hit the appropriate levels without incidental peaks. Making sure you don't squash every dynamic to bits or blow out your stereo image with artificial wideners... in short: mix the damn thing right.
Thanks man!!

This. On a theoretical level, if the mix is perfect, the mastering phase is only preparation for release - exporting different formats for vinyl/cd/streaming, embedding ISRC codes and possibly sequencing the tracks - in other words, there's no definite need for the mastering engineer to do any sonic changes. Of course it's usually expected that the ME provides the last bit of polish as well - but if you're mastering yourself, there's no reason why you couldn't do that in the mixing phase.

Back