When is it necessary to split a sound into mono and stereo?

YYZ

Hey everyone,

Just wondering when you should/shouldn't split a sound into seperate Mono & Stereo tracks. I've been using FL Studio's Fruity Stereo Shaper & Enhancer on all of my sounds (expect percussion), but I noticed the end result sounds super weird. Any pointers?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering when you should/shouldn't split a sound into seperate Mono & Stereo tracks. I've been using FL Studio's Fruity Stereo Shaper & Enhancer on all of my sounds (expect percussion), but I noticed the end result sounds super weird. Any pointers?

You're adding a stereo shaper and enhancer on all sounds in a mix? Why would you do that? Then you wonder why the results sound weird?

To answer your question: when you should/shouldn't split a sound into seperate Mono & Stereo tracks? The answer is does the sound(s) need to be split into separate mono and stereo?

The problem is that you're doing things by default. The first question you should ask yourself before adding a stereo shaper or enhancer is whether that sound does need that stuff. What is your end goal? Don't insert a processing tool and hope for the best hehe... that's a bad approach. You'll never get great results like that.

You're adding a stereo shaper and enhancer on all sounds in a mix? Why would you do that? Then you wonder why the results sound weird?

To answer your question: when you should/shouldn't split a sound into seperate Mono & Stereo tracks? The answer is does the sound(s) need to be split into separate mono and stereo?

The problem is that you're doing things by default. The first question you should ask yourself before adding a stereo shaper or enhancer is whether that sound does need that stuff. What is your end goal? Don't insert a processing tool and hope for the best hehe... that's a bad approach. You'll never get great results like that.

Firstly, let me start off by saying I'm fairly new to the production/engineering game

I add these plugins because it makes sense in my head.. contrary to belief, I actually do think about the purpose of a plugin before adding it to a sound chain:angel:

My thought process is: each sound needs a specific amount of mono/stereo presence, some need more than others, so why not split them up for extreme precision? However I make sure to pan both mono/stereo signals for one sound to the same position for structural purposes. I think I might have the layout of sound field confused.. not to sure

Firstly, let me start off by saying I'm fairly new to the production/engineering game

I can tell.

I add these plugins because it makes sense in my head..

Wrong approach. You do processing to help a sound work/fit/sit well with other sounds in a mix, not because it makes sense in your head.

My thought process is: each sound needs a specific amount of mono/stereo presence, some need more than others, so why not split them up for extreme precision?

This doesn't make any sense especially the part where you say "so why not split them up for extreme precision?"

I actually do think about the purpose of a plugin before adding it to a sound chain:angel:

You think you do but based on your questions, you don't :)

If you did then you wouldn't wonder why the results sound weird.

However I make sure to pan both mono/stereo signals for one sound to the same position for structural purposes.

This doesn't make any sense.

I think I might have the layout of sound field confused.. not to sure

Yes you do, I'm sure hehe :)

I can tell.

Wrong approach. You do processing to help a sound work/fit/sit well with other sounds in a mix, not because it makes sense in your head.

This doesn't make any sense especially the part where you say "so why not split them up for extreme precision?"

You think you do but based on your questions, you don't :)

If you did then you wouldn't wonder why the results sound weird.

This doesn't make any sense.

Yes you do, I'm sure hehe :)

Loool, you're a joke. A sad, sad joke.

This message board is for helping everyone of all levels, not belittling someone for not understanding something they obviously don't understand..? Which is why ppl come here in the first place...?

it's clear you get some sort of weird self-esteem boost by insulting random ppl on the internet for their lack of knowledge. Maybe you should try figuring out what you're trying to overcompensate for instead of wasting my precious time.

We obviously don't think the same & you're obviously not here to help, so please do not reply again :) have a nice day

Last edited:
Loool, you're a joke. A sad, sad joke.

This message board is for helping everyone of all levels, not belittling someone for not understanding something they obviously don't understand..? Which is why ppl come here in the first place...?

it's clear you get some sort of weird self-esteem boost by insulting random ppl on the internet for their lack of knowledge. Maybe you should try figuring out what you're trying to overcompensate for instead of wasting my precious time.

We obviously don't think the same & you're obviously not here to help, so please do not reply again :) have a nice day

I didn't belittle you in any way.

You just want me to lie to you and tell that you understand what you're doing. No you don't. I did try to help you and if you can't see that then it's fine. One day you'll realize that "Oh damn that guy was really trying to help me".

Why do you think no one has replied to your post? huh?

Trust me, one day you'll realize that I was trying to help you approach audio processing the right way. I never belittle anyone because I also struggled to get where I am now. I would never do that to you.

Last edited:
Messing with the stereo field on every single track you have will make things pretty out of shape. While it all comes down to your individual vision for the track some general rules are still worth considering. Basslines, kicks, snares, and lead vocals should be pretty central in the mix. Most of the time they'll be mono but there are times when people abandon it for stylistic purposes. I often put effects like reverb or delay on a vocal and make them a nice wide stereo while the main dry track is straight mono. I found that this helps ground the vocal with the dry track while still giving a little atmosphere to the sound. In the rare moments I use a stereo enhancer it's on something that is important in my mix but is competing with the bass/drums/vocals too much in the middle of the field. For example, if there's an atmospheric guitar or key part that's pretty essential to the flavor of the track but in the middle it just takes up too much room at the level I want to put it at. Sometimes If I use a sample that's too narrow, I'll expand the stereo field. Likewise, if I use a drum break that's too wide, I might make it more mono just so it hits harder in the center. In general though, unless I want the sound to really flood the empty space in the track, I'll just partially pan it to one side rather than using a plug-in the make it fill the whole stereo field (because too much of that on multiple tracks in the mix will make it sound weird, like what's happening to you).

Mid-side processing and stereo enhancers are pretty powerful tools but you really gotta use them carefully otherwise the mix gets bad pretty fast.

Messing with the stereo field on every single track you have will make things pretty out of shape. While it all comes down to your individual vision for the track some general rules are still worth considering. Basslines, kicks, snares, and lead vocals should be pretty central in the mix. Most of the time they'll be mono but there are times when people abandon it for stylistic purposes. I often put effects like reverb or delay on a vocal and make them a nice wide stereo while the main dry track is straight mono. I found that this helps ground the vocal with the dry track while still giving a little atmosphere to the sound.

Wow, excellent pointers! I really appreciate the detail :)

That technique sounds interesting. I'm going to try it out but wont the main track being in mono strip the sounds that need to be in stereo of their stereo presence? Will the main track sound too thin & the vocals overpowering? That's the only thing concerning me (When you say main track do you mean a whole mixed down instrumental? That's what I'm assuming)

In the rare moments I use a stereo enhancer it's on something that is important in my mix but is competing with the bass/drums/vocals too much in the middle of the field. For example, if there's an atmospheric guitar or key part that's pretty essential to the flavor of the track but in the middle it just takes up too much room at the level I want to put it at. Sometimes If I use a sample that's too narrow, I'll expand the stereo field. Likewise, if I use a drum break that's too wide, I might make it more mono just so it hits harder in the center. In general though, unless I want the sound to really flood the empty space in the track, I'll just partially pan it to one side rather than using a plug-in the make it fill the whole stereo field (because too much of that on multiple tracks in the mix will make it sound weird, like what's happening to you).

Mid-side processing and stereo enhancers are pretty powerful tools but you really gotta use them carefully otherwise the mix gets bad pretty fast.

A light bulb just went off in my head after reading that point!! I had no idea these plugins were so powerful, I'll have to be more selective. Thank you so much I'm going to implement your feedback and let you know how it goes. :)

Wow, excellent pointers! I really appreciate the detail :)

That technique sounds interesting. I'm going to try it out but wont the main track being in mono strip the sounds that need to be in stereo of their stereo presence? Will the main track sound too thin & the vocals overpowering? That's the only thing concerning me (When you say main track do you mean a whole mixed down instrumental? That's what I'm assuming)

A light bulb just went off in my head after reading that point!! I had no idea these plugins were so powerful, I'll have to be more selective. Thank you so much I'm going to implement your feedback and let you know how it goes. :)

Messing with the stereo field on every single track you have will make things pretty out of shape. While it all comes down to your individual vision for the track some general rules are still worth considering. Basslines, kicks, snares, and lead vocals should be pretty central in the mix. Most of the time they'll be mono but there are times when people abandon it for stylistic purposes. I often put effects like reverb or delay on a vocal and make them a nice wide stereo while the main dry track is straight mono. I found that this helps ground the vocal with the dry track while still giving a little atmosphere to the sound. In the rare moments I use a stereo enhancer it's on something that is important in my mix but is competing with the bass/drums/vocals too much in the middle of the field. For example, if there's an atmospheric guitar or key part that's pretty essential to the flavor of the track but in the middle it just takes up too much room at the level I want to put it at. Sometimes If I use a sample that's too narrow, I'll expand the stereo field. Likewise, if I use a drum break that's too wide, I might make it more mono just so it hits harder in the center. In general though, unless I want the sound to really flood the empty space in the track, I'll just partially pan it to one side rather than using a plug-in the make it fill the whole stereo field (because too much of that on multiple tracks in the mix will make it sound weird, like what's happening to you).

I finally got it! The Funk Junkie, you're awesome ! :)

For anyone else having a hard time with the same problem & in addition to The Funk Junkie's feedback, here are 2 videos that helped me understand the solution:

YouTube

YouTube

Back