"When I record, I only hear myself in one speaker!"

Why not record in stereo? wouldn't you get a fuller sound because it'd come out of both speakers?

Why not record in stereo? wouldn't you get a fuller sound because it'd come out of both speakers?

"mono" does come out of both speakers, unless you pan the track 100% left or right.

Pan it center and it comes out of both speakers.

"mono" does come out of both speakers, unless you pan the track 100% left or right.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Maybe one more time for people having a tough time with this one.

Last edited:
Alright, I bought an M Audio Fast Track mk2, but my speakers arent studio ones and they have this 1'8 jack, so I can't plug them in the Line outputs ( the white and red holes on the back of the M Audio ). What kind of connector do I need?
I am not so much into this whole cable thing and would appreciate some help. Heres a picture of the front and the back of the M Audio:
http://www.oulunsoitinjatarvike.fi/verkkokauppa/kuvat/atk/m-audio/fasttrack_mk2.jpg

Thanks guys :)
ps. I posted this here, because its related to the mono/stereo thingie ( I Think )
Sorry if i am wrong

Do't know about your speakers (a pic of them or make+model) .
The sockets on the back of the interface are called "RCA Phono" .

Do't know about your speakers (a pic of them or make+model) .
The sockets on the back of the interface are called "RCA Phono" .

This is the speaker's jack http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2957479742_cfdcd08675.jpg
They are standard pc speakers, nothing special with that normal cable jack.
So i want to hook them with my M Audio interface so i can use the M Audio as my default sound device, but i dont know what kind of cabel do i need so i can listen from both speakers. Also, when i hook my headphones in the "headphone jack" on the M audio, i hear myself on one side only. But the main problem is the speakers and how can i fix this?

This is the speaker's jack http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2957479742_cfdcd08675.jpg
They are standard pc speakers, nothing special with that normal cable jack.
So i want to hook them with my M Audio interface so i can use the M Audio as my default sound device, but i dont know what kind of cabel do i need so i can listen from both speakers. Also, when i hook my headphones in the "headphone jack" on the M audio, i hear myself on one side only. But the main problem is the speakers and how can i fix this?

That's incredibly simple....the output of your PC's soundcard is the green 1/8" stereo jack....you need a 1/8" male stereo to 2X 1/8" male mono jacks so you can plug it into both speakers. (if you're going out from PC soundcard)

If you're using the M-audio box it has 2X RCA jacks - one for left (white) and one for right (red) - in this case you need 2 cables.....they will both be RCA male to 1/8" mono jacks on the other end....the one you plug into the RED output will be the right speaker and the WHITE is your left.

Last edited:
Hmm , I have to take a guess as I don't know your speakers .
Normally , those PC speakers have a 3.5 mm stereo jack that connects to the mobo socket .

So I would say a stereo 3.5mm jack socket to two rca phono , like this :
3.5M-2PHONO-PROD.jpg

That's incredibly simple....the output of your PC's soundcard is the green 1/8" stereo jack....you need a 1/8" male stereo to 2X 1/8" male mono jacks so you can plug it into both speakers. (if you're going out from PC soundcard)

If you're using the M-audio box it has 2X RCA jacks - one for left (white) and one for right (red) - in this case you need 2 cables.....they will both be RCA male to 1/8" mono jacks on the other end....the one you plug into the RED output will be the right speaker and the WHITE is your left.

Too many cables. Just get the one stereo mini (1/8 inch or 3.5mm) to 2 RCAs (red and white) and plug that into your speakers. Here is an example on amazon.

It really would be better sounding to get some kind of audio interface that has RCA or 1/4 inch outputs rather than going out your soundcard. It would sound better too.

Thank you for the answers and explanations! It was helpful!
Peace!
:)

Well there's a good chance that either of the other posters cable may not work .
Some manufacturers of PC speakers make them like this .....

The amp is in one speaker only , this is interconnected to the other speaker via a single 3.5 jack .
The input to the amp (from PC/AI) is often a stereo 3.5 mm jack at the end of a "tail" (it save the cost of a socket for each unit sold) .

Take what advice you wish , I hope it works out well :)

Yeah, i think i will first get the cable Ryan suggested. Its a nightmare everytime i record, i have to disable my realtek pc soundcard to activate the M Audio, then disable the M audio and activate the realtek to listen the vocals on the speakers (that are connected to the realtek soundcard :)))
I will try and get this to work because i dont have the budget for monitors or studio speakers now. Thanks again :D

Yes , no worries as said .
I guess my principle of "replicate the socket that currently works" ........... etc....etc...

Didn't helped.

When I record I hear myself in one headphone,info didnt helped.
After recording in DAW i can hear the track in stereo but while recording i hear my voice in 1 chan.
Mic Rode ,sound card ESI Julia. Any ideas?

When I record I hear myself in one headphone,info didnt helped.
After recording in DAW i can hear the track in stereo but while recording i hear my voice in 1 chan.
Mic Rode ,sound card ESI Julia. Any ideas?

you need to explain more about what you are doing and your setup.

Back