What's the deal with putting a "maximizer" on the vocals?

soulnb

Ill Soul Productions
Ive seen this technique applyed b4 and i was wondering just why it is applyed. The loudness factor is there but what purpose besides being louder does the piece serve in the chain of vocal editing?

soulnb said:
Ive seen this technique applyed b4 and i was wondering just why it is applyed. The loudness factor is there but what purpose besides being louder does the piece serve in the chain of vocal editing?

no purpose except increased distortion and a smaller dynamic range.

(i mean it's not a good idea :) )

Last edited:
well...

if thats the case then why do most pro level recordings boast about such an unreliable piece of equipment that is mentioned by almost everyone as part of there vocal chain of effects...im not trying to justify it im trying to understand because i been on this site for years (don't let the new name fool you) and i have read in plenty of articles and responces about people using this plug/hardware in there chain as far as vocals are concernd

soulnb said:
if thats the case then why do most pro level recordings boast about such an unreliable piece of equipment that is mentioned by almost everyone as part of there vocal chain of effects...im not trying to justify it im trying to understand because i been on this site for years (don't let the new name fool you) and i have read in plenty of articles and responces about people using this plug/hardware in there chain as far as vocals are concernd

I do not know who you have been talking to or what you have been reading, but most pro level recordings do not, in fact, use a "maximizer" as part of their vocal chain (I woul dbe surprized if any do.)

At that stage, there is no reason to "maximize" anything. At that stage you are adjusting levels between various elements in your mix. Using any sort of "maximizer" would be counterproductive.

Back