Whats the best home mic setup during quarantine?

Adam Crozier

Hey everyone, so im thinking of investing in some new equipment to record small scale projects in my bedroom, does anyone have any ideas for what mics and setup to use to get started with?

Hey,

I am using the following:
- focusrite scarlet 2i2 (audio interface)
- sE electronics x1s vocal pack (microphone)

I record everything with this set. I plug my stage piano and synth directly into the focusrite. I record the Bass, guitar and vocals with the mic (bass via an amplifier).

Feel free to ask more questions!

Danny Yellow

First... be sure to take your mask off when preparing to sing your lead vocal!.... drum hit.

I'm not going to get into microphone choice per se' (I use an AT4050ST by Audio Technica) but microphone set-up. One of the things that will bedevil you in a bedroom set up are all of the reflections... for that, you should at least consider something with a fairly tight unidirectional pattern. But the ultimate sound treatment (and I'm quite serious) is to essentially bury or surround your mic in pillows with its pickup sticking out just a bit. There are a host of logistical issues such as you may need to sing while on your knees because the easiest way to manage this set up is on a bed (a sofa or overstuffed chair can work too)... but that's for you to work out.

The result is a very neutral capture which you can then treat as you see fit. It is SO much easier to deal with a reflection-free voice track.

I do voice over work as well as music and my vo tracks sound like they came from a scientifically designed vocal booth. I have had producers actually inquire as to which studio I used, or about my studio set.... I actually sometimes used the bedroom as a CHOICE.

I guess I would sum up by saying that the hardware is less important than the environment.... you can make a $100 microphone sound very, very good if you can neutralize the surroundings and work on a pure signal in post. Your bedroom probably has a lot of the elements (pillows, blankets, bed, etc) you can use towards that end.

Also, to add to the great info shared above, I would say— “We could help you better if you defined ‘small projects’ and you had an idea of your budget.”

”Best” is a big word encompassing a number of things (and price points).

GJ

Back