What is a summing box?

L

LeodPenrose

I heard about summing box mixing vs. analog console mixing.(overhearing engineer conversation) and I was lost. What is a summing box?

Interesting, I would assume it has something to do with in the box mixing but I am definitely going to look it up!

Edit: Wow, if you have a multiple channel audio interface you can hook it up to another bit of kit "Summing Box" that is great for people that use software to mix audio.

Has anybody used one of these? If so what was the result, I would be interested to know!

Last edited:
okay I still dont get it. Im bout to see if I could find some more info though

It's basically a mixer with every function stripped away...except the summing bus. It just combines the already-mixed signals into a 2-track, the claim to fame being that digital summing (ie. rendering from your DAW) doesn't sound as good as doing it on, say, a SSL desk. One of those high-end things that even the high-end guys don't really agree over...some say the difference is day and night, some say it doesn't matter much at all.

It's basically a mixer with every function stripped away...except the summing bus. It just combines the already-mixed signals into a 2-track, the claim to fame being that digital summing (ie. rendering from your DAW) doesn't sound as good as doing it on, say, a SSL desk. One of those high-end things that even the high-end guys don't really agree over...some say the difference is day and night, some say it doesn't matter much at all.
so you would mix ITB using pro tool and then export it running it through the summing box...? and its supposedly going to give you a better sound than digital? is that how that works? If so i still dont get it...cause i'm thinking you mix in Pro tools send the mix from pro tools into the summing box...and then back to pro-tools..I mean where dose the signal go after the summing box...I can only guess back digital, if it dose whats the point...? just so your not bouncing in PT

What is a Summing Bus? Summing busses take a series of tracks and "sums" them into a single track.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
isnt that the same thing as a group buss...or master buss?

so you would mix ITB using pro tool and then export it running it through the summing box...? and its supposedly going to give you a better sound than digital? is that how that works? If so i still dont get it...cause i'm thinking you mix in Pro tools send the mix from pro tools into the summing box...and then back to pro-tools..I mean where dose the signal go after the summing box...I can only guess back digital, if it dose whats the point...? just so your not bouncing in PT

The point is that the summing is done in that magic box, even if the 2-track goes back to digital domain afterwards. Of course, you could have some kind of a master recorder after the summing box as well...

So basically, yeah, it's like the master bus (or a group bus for that matter - both do the same thing in this context).

The point is that the summing is done in that magic box, even if the 2-track goes back to digital domain afterwards. Of course, you could have some kind of a master recorder after the summing box as well...

So basically, yeah, it's like the master bus (or a group bus for that matter - both do the same thing in this context).
cool..i get it now..thanks...

one other question....dose it really sonically make a difference or is it just user preference.

F.T.W.:confused:......?....?...?

Last edited by a moderator:
SSL Console, a top end mixing console could cost upwards of $1000000.
Most pro studios will use something like that. In the box mixing is creeping up though :) I like being able to do everything on a computer.

Go with a Neve though if you ever have a choice. Man, I hope I didn't start a flame war.

I'm feeling that neve 5580 I think its called....looks like a bad ass

You gotta hear 'em bro. Warmer than sipping a hot totti sitting between two sweatered hotties by the fireside in Lanzarote. They are so well loved people are willing to buy just the gutted channel strips for thousands of dollars.

When Using a summing box is it still considered a ITB mix?

Back