What sub bass freq are the best for.....

acehan80

Im having freq issues with sub basses. I want my sub to hit below 80 but is audible at the higher freq without clipping. I tried several methods to no avail. I tried layering and freq tweaks eq cant get that solid sound. I use FL studio with waves plugins. I appreciate the assist.

may seem obvious but is the core sound the actual sound you want to begin with? trying to make a thick and deep bass using EQ, compression or any other tool isnt going to work if the original sound isnt anywhere near in the first place.
id suggest re-assessing your synth/recording techniques first then move from there.

secondly, if you cant get it loud enough without clipping, might seem obvious but turn down everything else relative to it. with DAW theres a fixed ceiling you cant go above so really you need to think of headroom in negative terms with the loudest sounds near the roof and everything else working its way down.
if the overall level on the 2buss isnt loud enough, then thats why youve a volume control on your amp...use it. you shouldnt mix with a thought to final volume/loudness at all. this comes once its all done and sounding great.

neilwight said:
may seem obvious but is the core sound the actual sound you want to begin with? trying to make a thick and deep bass using EQ, compression or any other tool isnt going to work if the original sound isnt anywhere near in the first place.
id suggest re-assessing your synth/recording techniques first then move from there.

secondly, if you cant get it loud enough without clipping, might seem obvious but turn down everything else relative to it. with DAW theres a fixed ceiling you cant go above so really you need to think of headroom in negative terms with the loudest sounds near the roof and everything else working its way down.
if the overall level on the 2buss isnt loud enough, then thats why youve a volume control on your amp...use it. you shouldnt mix with a thought to final volume/loudness at all. this comes once its all done and sounding great.

Thanks for the info, no, the sub bass is just an accent on a pattern a break if you will, just having a hard time getting the right freq across the sub. The sound quality of the sub is great just when I hear it in the mix its hard to tame.Working with a issac hayes sample and beefing the break with a sub. Well back to the drawing board. This is some labor I cant see how some guys push out ten tracks a day, getting one Sonically correct is hard. Thanks for the feedback.

What kind of low end management (bass trapping) are you working with?

I am using no treatment right now, just a few pillows in the corners, not taking that part serious right now cant wait til my studio opens Then I will be in a more controlled enviroment, trusting my ear right now. I have a pre production studio here in columbus being prepared right now, I have a KRK 8s and 5's and the subwoofer.Going throuigh my board its a behringer slk32 ..Yeah I know, it does the job for me fine im in a room. My mixes come out fine its just this one track thats getting to me sub base wise. Everything else is fine, I will try to tame it tonight. I appreciate the assist. Just want to open myself to others opinions and suggestions.

acehan80 said:
...trusting my ear right now. (snip) Just want to open myself to others opinions and suggestions.
This is beyond opinion: You can not tweak what you can not hear. You can not trust your ears in an inaccurate room no matter what your monitoring scenario is otherwise.

In a room that nulls out at 80Hz, the best subwoofer in the world isn't going to mean a thing at 80Hz in that room.

The room comes *FIRST* - All the time, every time. Putting a subwoofer in a room that isn't ready to handle it is shooting in the dark. When you don't control the low end, you control nothing.

Thanks for your opinion this is not my final destination for my music process I have a studio opening soon tha IS IN A CONTROLED ATMOSPHERE. And I beg to differ your opinion You can trust your software your ears and other monitoring devices you also can listen to cds that are cretaed professionally to be a plumblne to measure your tracks, This method is not written in stone but if you dont have a studio get your work as close as possible and if you have the cheese to elevate your tracks to a bigger better studio do it! And if it rocks the people will be judge for themselves!

MASSIVE Mastering said:
This is beyond opinion: You can not tweak what you can not hear. You can not trust your ears in an inaccurate room no matter what your monitoring scenario is otherwise.

In a room that nulls out at 80Hz, the best subwoofer in the world isn't going to mean a thing at 80Hz in that room.

The room comes *FIRST* - All the time, every time. Putting a subwoofer in a room that isn't ready to handle it is shooting in the dark. When you don't control the low end, you control nothing.

i think that what john (massive) was aluuding too was that actually even by listening to as many references as you like, if your monitors and/or room are limited or combining to make an uneven response you actually cant make progress and will continually have problems.
the same frequencies will be muddied or over stated or missing entirely on everything played back and as such any production will also suffer in these areas.
as an extreme example, say i had speakers that only went from 100hz - 5kHz. by listening to a million references i could in theory get the audio within this range relatively acceptable however theres no way that frequencies outwith this range would ever be right no matter how hard i worked quite simply because i couldnt hear them.
while this may seem detached form anything in the real world, many rooms exhibit extreme peaks and troughs in frequency response with ranges as much as 30db certainly not being uncommon.
unfortunately the bass is the first area to suffer and adding more reproduction capabilites often just makes things worse not better.
whether this is the root of your issue is hard to say however john is valid is citing it as a definite possibility.
i used to make alot of electronica and the deep dubby basses are a real trick to master indeed. they are easily effected by other sources and unbalanced very easily during the process of writing. often its been my experience that many roll off the frequencies too quickly and get problems this way. try making sure theres nothing on the sub above 600hz but let it through up to this and it might just help fill it out. it what old dub pioneers did and they have mighty bass indeed.

I agree with you both that the environment is untreated and wont produce the results significant to a prime product,...but the point that is overlooked is that its temporary and that I can get a good mx as close as possible. I do have a studio opening in the next 60 days that is controlled. Just because you dont have a proper room to mix in doesnt mean you cant get a good mix thats decent, again this is not my objectiv my objective is to see "what subbase freq are routine in a mix, Knowing they could change from track to track. I was interested in routine settings that I may have missed, or, a method someone may use to get the same results each time, thats all, im not totaly green just open. thanks.

MASSIVE Mastering said:

knowledge learned thx :cheers:

Back