what are some Real Great Cheep Monitors

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but it seems to me its always a debate when people ask questions. The guy asked a simple question, hes trying to save money and asked about cheap monitors. He realizes hes going to upgrade one day but needs something to get him over the hump. I know some peoples definition of cheap is different. Is it possible to give opinions in here and let him decide without bashing others? Meanwhile this guy is sitting on the side eating popcorn watching the fireworks. I put my 5 cents in and I could be wrong, but from my perspective is I get good mixes from my KRK RP8's. I'm no spokesperson but thats just my opinion. If deranged suggest he gets good mixes from bookshelf speakers he could be right too. Its all about how you adapt to what you have. Some of the best music has been made on some real B.S equipment but the people were creative enough to improvise. Theres more than one way to get some skins...i mean skin a cat....

codexlf said:
Yeah, but you also might want to know what you are talking about specifically before you speak. See, you have this thing, I don't know exactly what to call it, but:

Basically you take a large amount of experience in a narrow area, and then you try to apply it across the board as if it applies to everything.

The KRK's aren't "crap". They aren't costly, and they aren't amazing monitors, but they are solid and will get the job done will until money is available. I am posting this because I have actually *logged time on those specific speakers*, and I can compare them to other lower-cost speakers/monitors I used like computer speakers, Events, Behringers, Alesis, etc. before I had access to better equipment like I do now. Same with NS-10s, I'm not going off what someone told me, or my experience with some other "similar" monitor... I use them every week, so I know what they sound like and how the mixes translate.

Good monitors ARE important for hip-hop/r&b. You bring up Yukmouth or whatver, but I've been there when Busta Rhymes and Darkchild songs were mixed, and they were mixed on a great monitors, in *multitrack*, in good rooms. So to declare yourself *pro* doesn't mean that elevado, pensado, young guru, bob power, prince charles, or anybody else at the top level works just the way you do.

So before you go making blanket statements just because you believe your music is better than other people's and you have more experience, you might actually want to check out the specific things they are talking about...

^^^You try to stay on my back, and stay taking me out of text. You also don't find(these are the one's I've seen in action since we're name dropping)young guru, nottz, erick sermon, red zone, or duro working on some $300 KRK's. So since you didn't take the time to fully understand the situation and just skim my post like you always do, you put your own foot in your mouth.

All these dudes use $1,000+ monitors. When I deal with top level dudes, I go to top level studios that have $1,000+ monitors, but in the comfort of my home studio where I make mixes that amaze these pros when I walk into their studios and constantly get me compliments, I'm telling you what I'm using. Some $150 200W computer gaming speakers, Some $200(pair)250W ea. DJ Speakers(the same thing they have in the club...so I know how my mix is gonna sound before the DJ plays it...that's so unexperienced of me)And a $600 pair of Event 20/20s which were given to me by my old boss(Ruff Ryders).

They are good, but if the guy want's an option for $200 rather than telling him to get another hundred together, or buy some $1,000+ monitors, I told him to go with bookshelf speakers, not computer speakers, not DJ Speakers, but bookshelf speakers, because of the familiarity and quality in comparison to that of lower priced monitors. You guys can try to find flaws in everything I say, I don't care. I still see it all, and have my own brain, I wish you guys would quit convincing kids up here they can't do anything without spending rediculous ammounts of money.

My rinky-dink setup gets me 5-10gs a beat, all types of movie, tv and video game placements. If it was really that crappy, I'd spend some money on more monitors before I bought another chain or rims for my car.

I've also got a friend who runs KRKs I mixed his whole album for him in his house. There's a myth around them and people believe they're so amazing, it's funny, Axiom makes desktop speakers that sound better. Maybe I'm not impressed because i basically live in other studios. I've seen every peice of gaer, every type of setup. I also spent my time making music instead of "wondering what I need to make music".

So y'all keep doing what you do while I use my ameteur non-pro ethics to run circles around you.

I know a million people with $20,000+ studios. They all hire me to do their mixing from CDs they've heard me mix from my home. They might as well have invested $3-4,000 in all like I did.

Last edited:
I'll take you up on those desktop and lowbudget monitor choices. I think it's wise to have KRK's, game speakers, dj speakers, and those events to monitor with. Much better to have 4 references than one set of Genelecs that you cant compare with the listeners which are using DESKTOP SPEAKERS lol. I'll give that a shot. :cheers:

BTW can you recomend a piece that'll let me switch to the other monitors I'm using?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^You try to stay on my back, and stay taking me out of text. You also don't find(these are the one's I've seen in action since we're name dropping)young guru, nottz, erick sermon, red zone, or duro working on some $300 KRK's. So since you didn't take the time to fully understand the situation and just skim my post like you always do, you put your own foot in your mouth.

All these dudes use $1,000+ monitors. When I deal with top level dudes, I go to top level studios that have $1,000+ monitors, but in the comfort of my home studio where I make mixes that amaze these pros when I walk into their studios and constantly get me compliments, I'm telling you what I'm using. Some $150 200W computer gaming speakers, Some $200(pair)250W ea. DJ Speakers(the same thing they have in the club...so I know how my mix is gonna sound before the DJ plays it...that's so unexperienced of me)And a $600 pair of Event 20/20s which were given to me by my old boss(Ruff Ryders).

They are good, but if the guy want's an option for $200 rather than telling him to get another hundred together, or buy some $1,000+ monitors, I told him to go with bookshelf speakers, not computer speakers, not DJ Speakers, but bookshelf speakers, because of the familiarity and quality in comparison to that of lower priced monitors. You guys can try to find flaws in everything I say, I don't care. I still see it all, and have my own brain, I wish you guys would quit convincing kids up here they can't do anything without spending money. My rinky-dink setup gets me 5-10gs a beat, all types of movie, tv and video game placements. If it was really that crappy, I'd spend some money on more monitors before I bought another chain or rims for my car.

I've also got a friend who runs KRKs I mixed his whole album for him in his house. There's a myth around them and people believe they're so amazing, it's funny, Axiom makes desktop speakers that sound better. Maybe I'm not impressed because i basically live in other studios. I've seen every peice of gaer, every type of setup. I also spent my time making music instead of "wondering what I need to make music".

So y'all keep doing what you do while I use my ameteur non-pro ethics to run circles around you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuckie Busa said:
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but it seems to me its always a debate when people ask questions. The guy asked a simple question, hes trying to save money and asked about cheap monitors. He realizes hes going to upgrade one day but needs something to get him over the hump. I know some peoples definition of cheap is different. Is it possible to give opinions in here and let him decide without bashing others? Meanwhile this guy is sitting on the side eating popcorn watching the fireworks. I put my 5 cents in and I could be wrong, but from my perspective is I get good mixes from my KRK RP8's. I'm no spokesperson but thats just my opinion. If deranged suggest he gets good mixes from bookshelf speakers he could be right too. Its all about how you adapt to what you have. Some of the best music has been made on some real B.S equipment but the people were creative enough to improvise. Theres more than one way to get some skins...i mean skin a cat....
I totally agree. The problem is FP is full of people who broke themselves buying equipment, and they feel you should break yourself the same way. They want you to struggle like the did. they weren't aware of easier options, so they don't beleive they exsist. My mixes still sound just as good.

PlanetHitzProduction said:
I'll take you up on those desktop and lowbudget monitor choices. I think it's wise to have KRK's, game speakers, dj speakers, and those events to monitor with. Much better to have 4 references than one set of Genelecs that you cant compare with the listeners which are using DESKTOP SPEAKERS lol. I'll give that a shot. :cheers:

BTW can you recomend a piece that'll let me switch to the other monitors I'm using?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CControl/

That's the $99 solution I have, no problems, most would refer you to the $500+ ones, lol.

Last edited:
I totally agree. The problem is FP is full of people who broke themselves buying equipment, and they feel you should break yourself the same way. They want you to struggle like the did. they weren't aware of easier options, so they don't beleive they exsist. My mixes still sound just as good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CControl/

That's the $99 solution I have, no problems, most would refer you to the $500+ ones, lol.

I have my DJ Speakers in my Studio but I dare not hook them up. Bitchy Neighbors!! I feel you on the multiple reference too. Sometimes when you have your monitors low they sound great but then you crank that ish up and wham, you realize you have too much bass and then back to the drawing board. I know a dude that has two sets of monitors and some kick ass club speakers in his studio and uses that theory too. He cranks it up too!!! I just bounce everything to an USB MP3 player and test my mixes out on other systems so that I dont waste a buch of CD's. After a while you tend to learn your equipment and get a feel for whats going to sound right. I know on my KRK's I have to set my high end a little higher than normal but then after I mixdown and play on another system it sounds right. Its all about training your ear.

The problem is FP is full of people who broke themselves buying equipment, and they feel you should break yourself the same way. They want you to struggle like the did. they weren't aware of easier options, so they don't beleive they exsist. My mixes still sound just as good.

I don't agree witcha on this one. I threw krk out there because I've used them and feel as though for the price they are decent. I have spent a lot of money on equipment because I looked at it as an investment into myself, I didn't struggle to do it but I did have to make sacrafices, which you should be willing to do if you got love for what your doing. The problem on FP isn't people thinking that you have to break the bank its people always looking for the cheapest sumthin' for nuthin' solution. Are there ways of making great strides with lesser quality equipment? of course there is thats what hip hop was birthed from but people on this board seem like they are allergic to sacraficing for sumthing that they are supposed to love and despite the results your able to attain quality of gear even in the home studio does make a difference. Whats wrong with saving up to step ya game up?

I agree with the current argument 100%. However I reccomended the BX8's as they can be purchased for about 200-300 (in his price range) if you shop around and IMO I think they are fine to get the ball rolling. My first set of monitors were a set of the BX8 originals and I got them for about 275.00 but I shopped around for a while, so I stand by my reccomendation because obviously I have alot of time on them. However, I agree with the current argument because I still have always found myself not just using my current monitors but by playing back my mixes on my/friends home systems, vehicle systems, computer speakers at work and my personal DJ system. Its true that there is no 1 real miracle monitor source and a good producer IMO always cross references thier mixes on other sources. I also agree with the people that have reccomended products that they feel worked well for them aswell. But as stated, what works for one person doesnt always sit well with another so its always needed to explore your options in entirety and take in every users review and opinion with thier 1st hand knowledge of products you may be interested in. With all that said, I hate seeing so many people just telling other people to "Get the Mackies or Genelecs" (even though they are excellent monitoring sources)when not only did the user ask what might be good in thier price range which was half of the retail on those monitors, but alas the person reccomending them doesnt even use them. So I am glad to see some of the points that were just brought up..brought up.

^^^I'm glad I'm not the only one without a perscription of "crazy pills", lol. And to Pase, I apologize, that statement wasn't directed towards you, you gave sound advice. It was directed towards guys who rather than giving sound advice, are here to tell people "you can't". Especially being that I witness that "you can" everyday.

Also bothers me that people don't realize there's different levels of musicians, cheap solutions are "cheap solutions". It would be different if he came here asking for the best quality monitors, but I honestly don't know anyone with a personal studio with $1,000+ monitors. Alot of pro and homestudios setup to make money, but no personal ones.

Tuke Hades said:
yeah man, i be listening to tracks and having your tracks monitored sounds real professinal almost better quility. so im interested.
I would like a pair for 200$ max
I dont' know what kind of spec's to look into as far as monitors so please help. need something for my Mixing
Just hope everyone really realizes this was the original question. Now tell me again I'm wrong to point him at $100 JBL or Polk Bookshelves. I found a pair for $70USD while finding him the link that I'm ordering for myself. I love different references!!!! Especially cheap solutions.

Last edited:
I don't think i even had any monitors until I went pro...

I used headphones for years and occasionally would plug in whatever stereo speakers I had sitting around...

You use what you have when you are starting out.

Also, you work around your budget and you buy what is appropriate for the type of use.

for example, if you just make music for fun in your bedroom, you don't need the best stuff. It would be stupid for some kid with a paper route who makes $20/week to spend $2000 on monitors.

Just like if i want to buy a bike just so I can get to the store to buy milk and bread once a week, it would be stupid for me to buy a $5000 racing bike.

And to Pase, I apologize, that statement wasn't directed towards you, you gave sound advice. It was directed towards guys who rather than giving sound advice, are here to tell people "you can't". Especially being that I witness that "you can" everyday.
Thats cool... I feel you.

outside of this board, I don't think i have ever heard anyone singing the praises of KRK's

I've heard very little negative about them. I'm not the biggest fan of the rp-series for the price compared to others I've used in the same range I like them better. I prefer the V series myself, but hey thats just me

Last edited:
.... i think it all comes down to knowing your equipment. if you mix on a certain setup and reference a lot of different sources, then i think you can definitely make quality mixes on relatively inexpensive equipment. when i mix on computer speakers and take it to the studio and listen to it on $1000+ monitors, it still sounds good.

to answer the original question, i would say look at a lot of different options and decide for yourself. all you're gonna get from other people is their own opinion on stuff they've tried.

on a budget, alesis monitor 1 MK2 with a nice class A amp with a lot of power. buy used and you can easily do this around your budget and that will hold their own with setups much more expensive.
these have a nice response that translates well and not only more bottom than many speakers much more expensive but crucially enough that you can make pretty good judgements as to whats going on.
teamed with a clean and strong amp you cant get much better spending alot more. these are really cheap now as they are "old hat" and in the prosumer price range that they fill, sadly newer always equals better. i cant think of anything great for under $1000 and IMHO you still need to spend alot more than this before you get anything recommended without caveats.
that being said, i started out on some hifi speakers years ago and made tracks back then that were fine for me and didnt even think about whether they were holding me back or not so they didnt to a certain extent. (though i wasnt recording abbey road)

the problem with cheap and mid priced monitors (anything less than $1000) is that most arent well built, often lack a real range of frequencies enough to make correct decisions and in the case of active, are using amplifiers that i wouldnt even like to use to keep a door open never mind work with audio on.
what you generally find is a poor quality amp coupled to a poor quality speaker.

as has been said on this thread already though. think carefully about your monitoring purchase. its what lets you hear your work and so is critical. every decision you make will be based on what you hear from these.
as such, try to save and get the very best you can. also think about the environment in which you are going to place them.
trying to save money here always ends up costing more in the long run. the continual speaker upgrade route is a nasty hobby

My rinky-dink setup gets me 5-10gs a beat, all types of movie, tv and video game placements. If it was really that crappy, I'd spend some money on more monitors before I bought another chain or rims for my car.

damn...you get 5 g's a beat?

i dont even have mointors...you not effin with me.;)

goonie said:
damn...you get 5 g's a beat?

i dont even have mointors...you not effin with me.;)
Anyone who makes records that are released to a major market that doesn't is getting cheated. I do this to make money, but from this thread, I see I'm not doing it right, I should be spending money.

I gotta agree on so many points. I had this same argument with people years ago about house music.

People were saying "you can't get a record released if you don't have analog gear", "you can't get a record releasedd if you only use software", "you need a $15,000 studio in order to write tracks that will get released". It's all crap.

You need a good ear, some talent, willingness to work hard and the determination to not give up. Just look at this site for example, there's people with studios worth thousands and thousands of dollars, but they are doing nothing with them. Don't be a collector, be a musician.

Not only that, but there's no point in dropping a tonne of cash on a set of monitors, only to find out that you: a) don't like it in the end, b) suck, c) don't have the time, d) something else that gets in the way. Get something to hold you over at the start to make sure that you keep your interest, then move from there. Hell, I've seen (house) records released that were mixed on a pair of tannoy reveals, not exactly top-end monitors, same with 20/20bas speakers which you can get for pretty cheap on ebay ...

^^^I'm glad I'm not the only one without a perscription of "crazy pills", lol.

I don't understand how recommending the best solution for the price equals out to "crazy pills". If you going to go cheap, at least get the best quality around that price range that you can get. Because no matter how good your ears are, the bottom line is that you need to hear your mix. At a certain low level, the better you hear it, the better the mixes you can make.

dvyce said:
outside of this board, I don't think i have ever heard anyone singing the praises of KRK's

I don't know where you've been living, but it's been the opposite for me :D But again, I'm recommending them from my own personal experience, not because someone else said they were good.

"Yeah, but you also might want to know what you are talking about specifically before you speak. See, you have this thing, I don't know exactly what to call it, but:

Basically you take a large amount of experience in a narrow area, and then you try to apply it across the board as if it applies to everything."

LOL, J/K.

You're Paranoid. When I said that I was referring to the way the momentum of the thread shifted to people with my views as well as everyone else's. For some reason you often thing I'm on this anti-codexlf rant when I'm not. Nothing wrong with KRK5s, only place I know that recommends em' is guitar center when they see "cheap bastard" across your forhead from a mile away. Even good quality KRKs start around $499, and if you've done youre homework on them like you say, you know that the lower priced models share almost the same specs as Bookshelf speakers, which I referred him to.

The guy's making and mixing beats. He can spend $50-100 on bookshelf speakers and hear a phenominal difference. Today.

But I'm sure we've all ran him off confused with our argueing. We do the same thing with every thread.

Only thing that came out of this was me buying a pair myself, so now I have yet another source to reference my mixes.

Last edited:
I personally like the Genelec 1032a's and Dynaudio BM 5A's Yeah I know, expensive tastes, but those are my mixing preferences.

As for cheaper monitors I've trained my ear to the Alesis M1 620's, and KRK 8's

ALWAYS keep some desktop speakers lying around, you'll need to know what your mix sounds like while extremely pre EQ'ed and colored.

"The guy's making and mixing beats. He can spend $50-100 on bookshelf speakers and hear a phenominal difference. Today.

IMHO this is more an indication of the large lack of quality in the prosumer audio range market than a comment on the actual suitability of low costs hifi speakers for studio work.

that being said, use what you have and can get your hands on. in real terms what speakers you have isnt going to make or break you as an artist. you think the stones started out with 10k speakers.

this thread as with many highlights for me some of the issues with blurring of roles in audio today.
from an artistic point of view, the only limit is your imagination and its very possible to make tracks as good or better content wise than anything dre or pharrell has done.
from a technical point of view however the quality of gear you have will to an extent impact the quality of the technical component of your finished product.

banging away in your room with an mbox and a years experience isnt going to enable you to get a finished product from a purely technical aspect anywhere near to something recorded using musicians in good rooms with quality gear and experienced engineers at every stage.
its a simple fact. now its still possible that you can make something that sounds ok and that can be good enough certainly but at the same time one should be realistic about this. the size of this quality gap will largely vary from genre to genre but it will still be present. just think it through logically. if you cant hear it then your ears need to develop more.

now this is in no way related to artistic content. this is equipment independent and as many will testify, theres been tracks done at home on an old 4track that have been better than tracks done with a full major label budget. years ago when people went to studios things were simpler. the artist worked away making good music and building up a following then went to a big studio where they had great gear and lots of technical experience to get it recorded well.
nowadays however everyone wants to be the artist and the producer and the blurring of the two roles means that most posts ref gear end up going in circles such as this. there seems little room a this level for honest technical debate regarding gear shortcomings etc since any discussion ends up being perceived as somehow trampling on peoples artistic ideas even though this often isnt the case and the two things are entirely unrelated in most instances. IMHO the level of discussion would be better served by an increased mental separation of the two sides and perhaps more realism ref the bigger picture when it comes to tools.

Back