What are some basic plugins/vst's should I have...........

Cee Major

The Southr'n Gentleman
with my Pro Tools. I produce and mix (still learning the art of mixing & mastering) but I only have whatever comes with Pro Tools 7.4 and I feel that I'm ready to expand.

I know there are countless vst's/effects plugins out there but i want to start with some good ones, not too pricey, that would benefit me in the area of producing & mixing. Ones besides the basic reverb, compression, noise gate, etc. and some good sound effects. Any help is appreciated.

imo.....for pro tools (which isnt my daw of choice) the best free plugins are 'massey plugins' google em there dope....plus there FREE. The best cheap plugins imo are 'stillwell audio plugins'

if you want free plugins morning stars blog page is a excellent starting point!

Last edited:
If you have Pro Tools you have all the basics you need. If you don't know how to work those... you don't need anymore.

Lily Allen's hit 'The Fear' was recorded and mixed with 100% Logic plugs. I personally, use ALL Cubase plugs for all source mixing. It is not until my submixes that I use 3rd Party Plugs and ONLY for the tone, color and even order harmonic manipulation. Otherwise I would probably use ONLY Cubase plugs like Greg Kurstin on Lily's project.

Back