What equipment would you recommend to mix/master with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start with a decent pair of monitors off of ebay and practice mixing. Also, look up how and why to acoustically treat a room. Mastering doesn't seem that important to me if you are still learning mixing basics, I haven't met a mastering engineer who couldn't mix fairly well long before he even went to school.

of what, telling me off? Don't bother.

I think I will. We don't allow any form of piracy on FP.

The problem here is that you have all these tools that you don't know how to use and you're asking about equipment and the equipment will do nothing for you. You go through the trouble of bootlegging plugins and you don't learn how to use them. That is the point that we make, that you don't need to go through the trouble and bootleg anything because stock plugins are just as good when you're learning, maybe better, because they have usually have a very simple interface that is easier to follow.

People just don't seem to get it. Even if you get really high end gear, you're going to have a hard time with it because the gear does nothing for you. I know others touched on the same point I touched on, but I don't understand how people just don't get it.

You're practically assuming that by putting in no effort, you will learn things automatically once you have the gear.

At the risk of hijacking an intense thread here, I'd like to address a question somewhat related to this...

When your budget really doesn't allow you to spend on a set of professional monitors and acoustic treatment, how do you guys feel about mixing and mastering on a pair of high-end headphones? The most I could afford (and I was in need of a pair of headphones) was the Sennheiser HD558 -- which after doing some research seemed to be the best bang for the buck (mind you, I spent about $160 on them, taxes included, because I bought them from Europe -- they were a gift for myself). They're an open design and are supposed to give you a feel for space, and I've noticed some very nice effects pop up when using them.

Now, I can assume that most of you will say monitors all the way, but considering the budget I had at the time of the purchase and the headphones I got, do you feel I'm getting the fidelity I should for some decent mixing and mastering, at least for the time being? I'd like to hear some opinions from the pros because I am relatively new in the field. And yes, I understand the part about having your ear trained to hear the things you need to hear. I'm addressing this from a strictly technological point of view.

Thanks!

Last edited:
High-end headphones are a useful mixing tool, but I generally advise against using them as your only monitoring source. The way that headphones (even good ones) translate low frequency information and stereo width is very different from other monitor sources, and can therefore "trick" your ears. It's not really a fidelity issue, though...honestly, as long as you have a set of traditional speakers (good or bad) to check your mixes on, it is definitely possible to do a decent mix using headphones.

Yes, I definitely intend to play my work on my laptop and desktop speakers, earphones and car stereo to make sure everything sounds OK on them too. This actually raises another question...

What happens if I find the level of some tracks to be higher on one sound system and just right on my studio headphones? Which should I trust the most? I'm assuming another pair of ears/monitors might help...

How would you guys handle a situation like this, as I'm sure you've come across over time?

People are complicating and confusing. Keep it simple. Get a pair of studio monitors and start practicing mixing/training your ears. Easy as that

You don't even need a big budget. I got a pair for three hundred a few years ago. DAW + studio monitors = you're set.

Adjust acoustics blah blah blah for free.

I think I will. We don't allow any form of piracy on FP.

The problem here is that you have all these tools that you don't know how to use and you're asking about equipment and the equipment will do nothing for you. You go through the trouble of bootlegging plugins and you don't learn how to use them. That is the point that we make, that you don't need to go through the trouble and bootleg anything because stock plugins are just as good when you're learning, maybe better, because they have usually have a very simple interface that is easier to follow.

People just don't seem to get it. Even if you get really high end gear, you're going to have a hard time with it because the gear does nothing for you. I know others touched on the same point I touched on, but I don't understand how people just don't get it.

You're practically assuming that by putting in no effort, you will learn things automatically once you have the gear.

No offence but **** you. Your assuming im that stereotypical newbie who gets all this shit and doesn't know how to use any of it. I'm poorer than poor, i have no ****in money to spend on this atm. But im not about to sit on my ass and be restricted cause of it. One day you can bet ima pay them for their software. And im not even looking for 'really high end gear' either. I need some simple ****in monitors that'll do their job so I can get on with creating music.

This whole things a learning process, and unfortunately not everyone has money they can just pour into it. You need to start learning somewhere, otherwise your never going to get better at this, so what are you to do. I mean if you want to ban me for it go ahead, but it's not like im giving the stuff out to other people. So, to me, that's just a straight dick move.

If you pirated a software and trying to make money off of it by using it, thats pretty messed up. How would you feel if someone jacked your beats and put vocal on it and make millions?

This whole things a learning process, and unfortunately not everyone has money they can just pour into it. You need to start learning somewhere, otherwise your never going to get better at this...

I always wanted to drive car races, but I'm poor and dumb. So, should I simply steal cars and start with yours maybe? Even worse, I dreamed to be a surgeon since my childhood, so should I cut the next guy into pieces? You know, you need to start somewhere... ;)

Seriously, your excuse isn't much better. Go and find some work, be humble and respect all the people who make cheap bedroom production possible. You fvck them, just because your are poor and too dumb to earn a few dollars. Do you think that the Ukrainian guy who develops the software you like to download has a higher living standard than you?!

There is so much free software around, it's ridiculous. You know what satisfies me the most? It's the fact that people with disrespectful attitudes such as yours are rarely blessed with success, not just music wise, it's their whole life. Such people never learn and just hit walls after wall with every short-cut they take. I'm old enough to have observed this several times.

No you are not

"stereotypical newbie who gets all this shit and doesn't know how to use any of it"

but you are that

"stereotypical newbie who steals all this shit and doesn't know how to use any of it"

..which is much worse. The first one doesn't do anything particularly bad, he's not responsible for that situation, his parents maybe. But the second case is widely accepted as criminal behaviour. And nobody, not even you (!) want criminals in their neighbourhood.

Last edited:
I always wanted to drive car races, but I'm poor and dumb. So, should I simply steal cars and start with yours maybe? Even worse, I dreamed to be a surgeon since my childhood, so should I cut the next guy into pieces? You know, you need to start somewhere... ;)

LOL "you need to start somewhere," but tbh get off my dick. I don't need your ten commandments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back