What do you prefer for mastering?

Adlib311

Umbrella Music Group
Well i went to this dudes house yesterday to get our cd masterd, and he has masterd cd's for 9 inch nails, kenny rogers Etc. Well i asked him what plug ins he is using and he said what? Kinda like. Why the hell would you use plugins for masterning? hahah well i was just wunderin what do you prefer, Plug ins or External hardware.

Personally im happy with what dude did for us, he has been mastering for about 25 years now, and the stuff is DOPE. i wouldent want my tracks masterd anymore with plugins, What do you prefer?

Analog hardware without question.

There are several things - mostly corrective processes - that are arguably more accurate and definitely easier digitally.

But when it comes to scuplting and shaping the sound... There's no substitute for a quality analog path.

Yeah, that what we got our music masterd threw. i dont think ill go any other way now. No Plug in masters for me

Well, you can certainly attin good results with plugs... There have been plenty of projects that have come through where an additional conversion wasn't in the cards...

But like with any other scenario, the bulk of the quality is going to depend on the mastering engineer's monitoring situation, his ability to listen objectively and his experience in general.

hardware here for me definately though i do use software in tandem especially my algorithmix EQ.

i find digital EQ to work well with extreme settings, ie small amounts of boost/cut or very sharp notches. you can get accuracy that is hard with outboard.

i wouldnt like to use digital compression however if i had to choose my monitors/converters and a plugin bundle or a load of outboard, no plugins but cheaper speakers i would take the plug ins every time

Back