What do you all know about Cambridge Music Technology

dksucharda

I was watching a Great video on you tube last night about mixing in Studio One. The song he mixed was apparently downloaded from the web site Cambridge Music Technology. On this sight there are hundreds of songs that have unprocessed/unmixed recorded tracks from 3 or 4 threads to over a 100. Once they are down loaded you transfer them in to you DAW and can use them to learn your system and practice mixing. This is all supposedly free. This seems amazing and a wonderful educational tool, but I get suspicious of web-sights like this where you supposedly get something for nothing. Is anybody familiar with this resource, have you used it, and did you have any problems or concerns. Thank you.

The Cambridge MT site is run by Mike Senior, a well-respected mixing engineer, author of a couple of popular books on mixing and long-time contributor for Sound On Sound. I've understood that at least some of these multitrack projects are from the mixing articles written for SOS. There's also a FAQ that states what you can actually do with them - in short, they're an educational resource, not to be used in anything resembling commercial usage. So yeah, they really are free. Just don't abuse them :)

Thanks Krusing!! I have read some of the bios on him and I agree, he looks pretty legit. What an amazing resource!! And then to have a 90 minute video on a mix engineer showing how he incorporates them in to Studio One and mixes an entire song was incredible. A long video, but I learned SO MUCH!!. Even though the video is directed at Studio One users, I would encourage anyone new to mixing to watch the video as I feel the process of what he is doing could be applied to any DAW. I think I am going to get the book "Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio" that are supposed to go with it. There is another newer book "Recording Secrets for the Small Studio" that I am going to look at as well.

I went on you tube and copied the URL and pasted it below. It does not look like an active link you can just click on and have it take you there. I am not sure why. I have never done that before and may have to learn how to do that too. So much technology to learn.:hmmm:

YouTube

I am a contributing writer for Sound On Sound magazine and have worked with Mike and I can tell you the man is 100% genuine and well respected by all.

Back