What did my professional producer say?

BTMM

Born To Make Music
So I had the pleasure of recording vocals at The Warehouse Studio (Owned by Bryan Adams).

I wanted to find out which is a good mic for my voice.

After trying a few, the producer told me something but I just don't remember . . .

He said one of the two things:

1. My voice is too bright and I need a dark microphone.
2. My voice is too dark and I need a bright microphone.

I have a nasal voice (He shared some awesome tips to help with that as well).

What did he most likely say? 1 or 2?

Well, without hearing a sample, it's hard to say, but when you say "nasal," I lean towards "bright."

Really though, it's about how _you_ think your voice sounds best. Did you find one microphone more flattering/realistic/whatever more than the others? The one you like best. That's the one to go for (or, if it's an insanely-priced vintage AKG or Neuman, the closest thing on the market that you can afford without going broke).

I have a lot of microphones, but when I was looking for one for my voice, I made sure to line-up a bunch at a store for a shootout (worked it out with the salesperson and brought my own control mike and headphones). I thought I wanted a particular expensive mike, but in the end it was a Sterling/Groove Tubes LDC that suited my voice best. A lot less expensive too. Pick the one that suits you.

GJ

Cosign above. It's worth it to book a session dedicated to doing a shootout with various mic/pre/comp combos, take home all the samples and have them tagged with each chain that was used, then listen to them all and identify the one that fits "you" best. Then you'll never have to guess again

Back