What are the basics of an EDM Synth (Main beat).

BTMM

Born To Make Music
I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

Somehow, my main beat for a edm track just doesn't sound like it's full.

I tried listening to tracks today and it sounds like they have the minimal amount of instruments (Bass, Main Synth and maybe a pad).

Can someone post a basic structure for what is suppose to be included in a main beat just so it sounds like it's full.

I got a main beat, bass line but it feels like I'm missing something all the time and it's getting really frustrating.

Anytips? I can post a sample if possible.

I think as far as music production goes, that is my biggest weakness right now. Making proper / full sounding tunes (I'm okay with drums and drops).

Thanks!

Yeah… maybe post an example (of your tunes - just a short section of what your talking about)….?

Edm is a term that covers a variety of very different genres. What sort of music are you talking about?

Please don't say edm

Please dont say edm [2]

Listen to artists that you like and write down your notes about the structure. If possible, make your tracks with a reference that you like.
The rest is just mixing. It took me to understand that less is more. You dont need to overfilled your track with synths, just do a good mix, it will sound more full.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah less is more. What I meant was Like at the moment, I have a main instrument (One instrument), a baseline (One instrument). This is like the intro part of the song and it sucks because it feels so empty. I guess my real question would be how to make fuller sounds.

Sidechain... It is like what really gives those EDM beats that kick. If you don't know what a sidechain is, you sidechain your kick drum to the rest of the synths etc it brings all the instruments down in volume for a split second while the kick hits to give it more impact. EDM isn't really my first choice in music but I do happen to know that this is what all the big producers are using.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah less is more. What I meant was Like at the moment, I have a main instrument (One instrument), a baseline (One instrument). This is like the intro part of the song and it sucks because it feels so empty. I guess my real question would be how to make fuller sounds.

Percussion?

Fuller sounds?

One thing you didn't answer is what subgenre of EDM you're doing. It's different how to make a sub bass in a drum and bass track and in a house track. It's different how to make a good snare in a dubstep track and in a Future-Trance-with-Chillout-Influenced-Trapstep track. See what I mean?

Sidechain for the "pump" effect is very effective in house/electro-house/trance tracks, but not desirable in bass-oriented music (drum and bass, dubstep) for example.

Can you post an example of what you want?

If by EDM you refer to big room house and all that stuff,
I dont produce this kind of music, but in most of these tracks, what I heard is like one main instrument, one bass and the drums
Maybe some synth samples to make a glitch style, but those beats are very simple

As I said, its all about mixing. You could make a song with one main instrument, one bass and the drum and make it fuller than a track with dozen of synths.

What you could do is to layer two or more instruments for the main sound. Automate everything.
You could put fx, risers and transitions, use your creativity.

Back