Wah Sound

ThaBoiShad

www.RashadFFMG.com
Hey FP, Im lookin for a Wah sound, similar to the Wah Clavinet in Hypersonic 2 in Cubase. If you listen to Paul Wall feat T.I. - Slap Flippin, you'll hear the Wah Sound I speak of. I dont want the Wah Clavinet thats in Hypersonic, I want to be able to manipulate that sound in the best way possible, without it just being a straight "Wah" all the way through. The sound is in countless Grand Hustle Production pieces, and its the first instrument you hear in "T.I. - Kingofdasouf" off of Trap Muzik. I dont want a "wah" effect per se, I just want to be able to manipulate a sound that sounds like it easily, like with my modulation wheel. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what sound im talking about and can help me with it.

ThaBoiShad said:
Hey FP, Im lookin for a Wah sound, similar to the Wah Clavinet in Hypersonic 2 in Cubase. If you listen to Paul Wall feat T.I. - Slap Flippin, you'll hear the Wah Sound I speak of. I dont want the Wah Clavinet thats in Hypersonic, I want to be able to manipulate that sound in the best way possible, without it just being a straight "Wah" all the way through. The sound is in countless Grand Hustle Production pieces, and its the first instrument you hear in "T.I. - Kingofdasouf" off of Trap Muzik. I dont want a "wah" effect per se, I just want to be able to manipulate a sound that sounds like it easily, like with my modulation wheel. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what sound im talking about and can help me with it.

are you just talking about the sound of an envelope filter (or "auto wah" effect) or the sound of the filter cutoff routed to your ADSR envelope with a slightly long attack and decay?

dvyce said:

are you just talking about the sound of an envelope filter (or "auto wah" effect) or the sound of the filter cutoff routed to your ADSR envelope with a slightly long attack and decay?

This is very interesting, I sometimes get the wah sound on almost every instrument when I attach an equalizer and play with the frequency back and forth while the instrument is playin. But, im I want to know how to professionally make this sound, and get consistent results. I see you mentioned envelope filter, ADSR and all that. Could you tell me more on how to make this wah sound. Thanks

cyptm said:

This is very interesting, I sometimes get the wah sound on almost every instrument when I attach an equalizer and play with the frequency back and forth while the instrument is playin. But, im I want to know how to professionally make this sound, and get consistent results. I see you mentioned envelope filter, ADSR and all that. Could you tell me more on how to make this wah sound. Thanks

Yes please do, im interested in you elaborating on this also. I think it'll give me better free range to experiment; i'll know what settings to mess with.

cyptm said:

...Well, what you are doing with the EQ sweeping is very much like what happens when you route the filter cutoff to the envelope.

Every synth is different, but this is the idea behind what you need to do...

Get a "clav" sound on your synth/sampler (since you mentioned doing this with a "clav" sound)...

in the filter section, set your "resonance" around mid level and your "frequency" (or it may be called "freq" or "cutoff" or whatever) to be around mid level.... and set your filter type to "LP" or "low pass"

also in the filter section, there should be a control called something like "ENV" or "Envelope" or "EG" or "envelope level" or something like that... set that at its maximum level.

OK, now your filter is set to be modulated (i.e., effected or controlled or changed) by your envelope.

Now, in the envelope section, set your "attack" to be pretty fast and your "decay" to be a little bit slower than the attack... keep the "sustain" at zero and "release" level around the same level as the "decay".

With this setting, you should get a rather quick "waow" filtering sound when you play a note.

The effect will be too drastic for these purposes, but it is a good setting for you to really be able to hear what it is doing to your sound... to hear the speed of the envelope.

Adjust the speed of the "attack" and "decay" to your liking.

You can also ease off the "env" level to get the amount of subtlty you want... that setting determines how drastically the filter is modulated by the envelope.

Play with the "freq" and "res" settings to get the amount of "waow" you want in your sound (higher "res" settings and lower "freq" settings will make the "waow" effect stronger.)

Does that make sense?

Oh yeah!!! Thanks alot dvyce, best explation ever, you couldn't have made it any clearer. It definitely makes sense.

Back