Volume when recording voice

N

netomtz88

so i was reading an article a few days ago about how high i should record my voice! it says that -9 should be your highest and your average should be -17. Do all of you guys do it? also i read that compression on vocals is not needed sometimes since we record in 24 bit but i don't understand this either! can anyone explain this to me?

thanks, Ernesto!

So this is the article that i read:

[FONT=&quot]The other solution is to record at such a low level the highest peak will never break through the roof. It can be argued that a compressor is not needed in the process of recording vocals, particularly since we now record as 24 bit digital audio. What is needed is that you work with care, and never let your signal clip at 0dbfs, which is the highest signal possible digitally. [FONT=&quot]Keep it well under 0db.[/FONT] The "average" signal should be about -17db fs, which means the signal may rise to about -9 at its loudest and dip to far lower on a soft. Can you record [FONT=&quot]too[/FONT] soft? With a nice preamp and a clean signal path you can record way down like -32db fs where you can barely see the waveform and it will still work. But if you have crappy, noisy gear and preamps you do not have this luxury. (Beware--many pros have forgotten what it is like to record on pure crap and may lead you astray). You must make sure your signal is loud enough to mask the hiss of the preamp and the garbage on your mixer strip. Record too low and you'll have these nasties to contend with later. [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
That article seems like it has pretty good advice to me. As for compression, I always use it on vocals. It evens out the level throughout the vocal track. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but I always do and my vocals come out great.

Last edited:
The article is pointing you in the right direction... As far as using a compressor, the article isn't saying not to use one, but rather advising not to use on during the recording process (ie: recording through a hardware compressor, or having one on the input bus of your DAW). Compress (if needed) after you've recorded.

Back