Volume in FL Studio....

StickyGreen

My problem is that when I export my beat to either mp3 or wav file it's a lot quieter than most cd quality songs.

What I've been doing is using Audacity to amplify the mp3 file until it sounds like it's as loud as a cd quality track... but most of the time it needs to be amplified so much that it ends up distorting the bass.

What am I doing wrong here?

(another thing to add is I always keep the FL master volume at the default spot)

Last edited:
are you mixing and mastering your tracks? and also I don't know why but FL Studio is known for exporting lower quality songs than reason, Ableton, etc. but its not very noticeable to the untrained ear so I would assume your problem is in the mixing and mastering side of things. A very basic way to make your songs as loud as possible is to put a limiter on the master channel and set the preset to max loudness.

My problem is that when I export my beat to either mp3 or wav file it's a lot quieter than most cd quality songs.

What I've been doing is using Audacity to amplify the mp3 file until it sounds like it's as loud as a cd quality track... but most of the time it needs to be amplified so much that it ends up distorting the bass.

(another thing to add is I always keep the FL master volume at the default spot)

Anyone??

what ur doing wrong is that you think "amplifying" your beat is gonna "mix" and/or "master" your beat...

lemme ask you this, when you listen to your beat in FL before exporting it and u turn up the volume of your speakers, does it sound "loud"? does it thump how u want it to?

what ur doing wrong is that you think "amplifying" your beat is gonna "mix" and/or "master" your beat...

Not exactly, by amplifying it I just want it to be loud enough for people to be able to listen to it. When the mp3 is first exported from FL it's super low volume....

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

lemme ask you this, when you listen to your beat in FL before exporting it and u turn up the volume of your speakers, does it sound "loud"? does it thump how u want it to?

Yea, it's loud if I turn it up, sounds great, but when I export mp3 it's super soft and quiet...

Slap a soundgoodizer on the master track of your beat, Then export as MP3, I got 16bit and 6 point hermate..... Might have spelled that wrong :Shruggs:

I keep my master volume on -3db but do use maximus and a limiter there. Also always export as a wav. file since mp3 is the most lossy one of the bunch meaning you will be losing some sound and effects of instruments after the export. I then run it through Adobe Audition 3 and run the amplitude statistics which tells me how much higher I can turn up the amplitude before it clips, bam...easy radio sound!

It's not something that FLstudio is messing up. It's just what you're doing. Not saying you're messing up either. Do a search in this forum for "perceived loudness" (without the quotes). You might want to skip a few threads and they'll be of me telling people to do a search.

IMO you will find that in MOST cases it has nothing to do with compressors or limiter or anything like that, but more to do with FL's whacky rendering. Now I am not bad-mouthing FL, in fact I love the program and have been using it since version 4. With that being said there is something weird with it's rendering (for some folks). It does not affect everyone, but if you Google "FL exports too quiet" you will find tons of results. When your question gets asked on forums most everybody comes up with the same troubleshooting techiques, but I have found in most cases it is a FL issue. I am not sure why this is. When I used version 6 I did not have a problem.....version 8...the problem returned....version 10 same thing. For some reason (for some people) FL renders both mp3's and wav files very quietly. Like almost 10 dbs lower then before the render. Again, not sure why this is or why it only effects some people but not others. The question has been asked over on Image Line's forum, KVR, GS and many, many others. It may just be one of those things.

Of course the track isn't as loud as in cd's because it's not mastered most likely. With just using amplify in audacity it makes it louder yes, but it creates distortion. You have to master the track to make it loud.

Last edited:
With FL Studio...
1.) Turn the default Limiter in the Master Channel off before you even start chopping or making your beat!
2.) After you finish your beat and your mix, click the Master Channel, then Click TOOLS>Browser smart find... > type in the word "master", then click enter.
3.) Your fl browser on the far left will find the Preset Mastering Tools, chick and hold "General Purpose Mastering" and drag it over into your mixer INPUT section and drop it. 3 things will open...FL Parametric EQ, FL Multiband Compressor and FL Stereo Enhancer. Turn the stereo enhancer OFF!
4.) Open the Multiband Compressor and you will see 1 overall gain and 1 gain button per channel (3 total)...
5.) With the music playing...adjust your channel gains first then adjust your main gain last. Watch your Master Output Meter making sure its not clipping. If you need more volume, slide your main volume slider (located just under your Mixer Input section and to the right a little) up a touch, just watch your output meter. Thats it! Your playback volume will be good to go.

Last edited:
With FL Studio...
1.) Turn the default Limiter in the Master Channel off before you even start chopping or making your beat!
2.) After you finish your beat and your mix, click the Master Channel, then Click TOOLS>Browser smart find... > type in the word "master", then click enter.
3.) Your fl browser on the far left will find the Preset Mastering Tools, chick and hold "General Purpose Mastering" and drag it over into your mixer INPUT section and drop it. 3 things will open...FL Parametric EQ, FL Multiband Compressor and FL Stereo Enhancer. Turn the stereo enhancer OFF!
4.) Open the Multiband Compressor and you will see 1 overall gain and 1 gain button per channel (3 total)...
5.) With the music playing...adjust your channel gains first then adjust your main gain last. Watch your Master Output Meter making sure its not clipping. If you need more volume, slide your main volume slider (located just under your Mixer Input section and to the right a little) up a touch, just watch your output meter. Thats it! Your playback volume will be good to go.

Holy shit that works great!

Thank you so much...

Holy shit that works great!

Thank you so much...

it might work but it will also cause a lot of unwanted side affects and my advice is not to use a preset without tweeking.

what i do is use put a limiter on the master Chanel, raise the ceiling all the way so its not in affect, then raise the gain (or lower) until your beat is barely going into the red

Wav Files
I've exported the same wav sample out of fl studio's edison plugin (wonderful tool by the way) and the wav file came out the same as it did using audacity. So it cant be an fl studio issue if you ask me. Someone on futureproducers not too long ago told me what you're hearing that's missing is what he referred to as "floor noise". The part in a sample that's virtually impossible for anyone to hear.

MP3 Files
As far as mp3 files go, you're most likely not applying the right amount of loudness to your completed project before exportation. We are talking mixed down recording that need to be mastered right? I bring up the loudness in all my projects in fl studio just fine.

Last edited:
Wav Files
I've exported the same wav sample out of fl studio's edison plugin (wonderful tool by the way) and the wav file came out the same as it did using audacity. So it cant be an fl studio issue if you ask me. Someone on futureproducers not too long ago told me what you're hearing that's missing is what he referred to as "floor noise". The part in a sample that's virtually impossible for anyone to hear.

Hey acetheface954, this is an interesting concept. Do you remember if it was Moses that told you this? I am just asking because I would like to find out more about this. So do you think that somehow FL Studio is amplifying the noise floor through some type of digital processing? Would like to hear more about this.

Well I am not sure exactly what the deal is with FL and I don't personally use it enough (nor do I have the time) to do proper testing, but it seems that I have heard about FL export issues for years. Because there as been so many, it seems logical that there is something going on beyond user error.

Anyhow, I guess if dacalion method works, then we all have a work-around. Dacalion is very knowledgeable, he is a regular on another forum that I am on so I have very little doubts on using this method.

Hey acetheface954, this is an interesting concept. Do you remember if it was Moses proper testing, but it seems that I have heard about FL export issues for years. Because there as been so many, it seems logical that there is something going on beyond user error.

It is peculiar isn't it? I mean for wav samples to be deemed lossless and I still lose something after exporting out of sample editors such as imageline's edison or audacity it just doesn't add up to me. It wasn't moses by the way. The link is at the bottom. Posted by me. Forogt it was by me lol.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for.../how-does-one-properly-export-samples-375613/

Back