Vocals..

DJSauce

I just made my walk in closet into a booth and the vocals sound like they were recorded in a tank. What can i do to make em sound better?

Hang foam padding or other cheap material like blankets up on your closet walls in order to minimize the reflection of your voice off the wall and you should be straight. After that work with eq on your vocals in your sequencer. peace.

Use Egg cartons Those help alot. Basically they were made with the same material as studio foam. Thats a cheap way.

Earthquake said:
Use Egg cartons Those help alot. Basically they were made with the same material as studio foam. Thats a cheap way.

Egg cartons have almost zero acoustic properties, and it is almost the WORST thing you can treat your room with. They are very thin, so they can't absorb any low frequencies, and they are quite dense, so they will reflect hi frequencies fairly easily. That is a bad combination.

Egg cartons have almost zero acoustic properties, and it is almost the WORST thing you can treat your room with. They are very thin, so they can't absorb any low frequencies, and they are quite dense, so they will reflect hi frequencies fairly easily. That is a bad combination.

Actually I think you're wrong, maybe if you were talking about the cardboard egg cartons, but not the thick foam ones. My boy uses some of these in his closet at his crib and his vocals sound pretty damn good to me with his behringer b1 mic.

i was talking about egg cartons, which was what earthquake mentioned.

Egg shaped foam is better, but it really depends on the thickness of it. Yes it will absorb high frequencies decently, but if the foam is not thick enough, it can not absorb low frequencies. That is the reason that (most) professional studios use dead air gaps between all their rooms.

now this is odd...i didnt know that you can use egg cartons...which egg cartons..some one was explaining the difference but i didnt quite get it..the cardboard or foam ones....and...to earthquake...i know you personally...you being the one to say egg cartons is funny as hell

hell....while were at it...we might as well use ciabatta's and ultimate cheese burgers...as studio foam..lol

Last edited:
what we use in our low budget vocal booth is a combination of glawool with the wool on the inside, and the above it a big heavy curtain. This absorbes very wel. It may not be pro, but it works

Back