vocal production

prodeucer

I have the TC Helicon Voiceworks, still haven't played with it much. From what I understand always record vocals dry, no effects, so how do I run back the dry vocal takes to use this Voiceworks to good use? I tried Voiceworks a bit and seems as if you have to use this effect when tracking meaning you would be recording with effects going in? Maybe I'm confused. It has MIDI so I'm sure I can run the dry vocal back into this then run it back with effects? The multitrack mixer I have has no MIDI in but only MIDI out, could that be the issue?

Does anyone here own the Voiceworks? How are you using it? The selling point of this product was that your vocals will be in key played along with whatever instrument you have plugged in via MIDI regardless if you're a real singer or not which is why this is used by the pop singers who can't sing. LOL.

I'm surprised other TC Helicon vocal processors have no MIDI connectivity but USB, especially the newer effects like Voicetone.

Getting back to vocal production; How do you guys record when you are a "bedroom musician"? How do you create isolation? I know it can be done late at night then again your neighbors might hear you. I've seen portable isolation booths but that still cost $300 minimum and still huge as ****. I wish someone would create a product where you can simply strap it on to the mic stand and it looks like a box that your head fits in to and works as an isolation vocal booth. I guess I could DIY this but just wondering how you "bedroom musicians" create isolation for vocals? I'm sure most people here are more "track" producers than singers, considering there wasn't any replies for 2 months.

When I need isolation, (I know MANY of you who will read this will go against this and will probably leave comments about this since this is a very sensitive topic, and take note this reply is for bedroom musicians who are starting out) basically I use pillows and mattresses behind the mic and behind me. The positioning would depend on the type of walls the room has and depends on how big or small the room is. Basically recording in a closet full of clothes would be ok. You have to play with it and see what gets the best results.

I have 2 big shag rugs hanging in the shape of a telephone booth. It works pretty good. I do have to shut off the furnace though when recording!

When I was in my teens doing recording I never knew about isolation and just sang straight into the mic, I also found that I get better "feel" when I hold the mic rather than have it on a mic stand. I know it's a bit amateurish but I think some bands do this (especially rock) where it requires aggression.

When I was in my teens doing recording I never knew about isolation and just sang straight into the mic, I also found that I get better "feel" when I hold the mic rather than have it on a mic stand. I know it's a bit amateurish but I think some bands do this (especially rock) where it requires aggression.

Randy Blythe recorded this by holding the mic, it gives you a totally different feeling, it's not amateurish at all :)

About recording when you're a bedroom producer, I'm currently using a nice DIY set.

I designed a acoustically treated box. I worked on it just one day, in my case the sound it makes is perfect for what I wanted to do : close singer impression, bassier sound, little resonance in it.
It's just a little box with one hole. Very useful for some kind of vocals I think, and as I work with my girlfriend voice, it makes her more deep characteristics.

You would create an aux.....
I have the TC Helicon Voiceworks, still haven't played with it much. From what I understand always record vocals dry, no effects, so how do I run back the dry vocal takes to use this Voiceworks to good use? I tried Voiceworks a bit and seems as if you have to use this effect when tracking meaning you would be recording with effects going in? Maybe I'm confused. It has MIDI so I'm sure I can run the dry vocal back into this then run it back with effects? The multitrack mixer I have has no MIDI in but only MIDI out, could that be the issue?

Does anyone here own the Voiceworks? How are you using it? The selling point of this product was that your vocals will be in key played along with whatever instrument you have plugged in via MIDI regardless if you're a real singer or not which is why this is used by the pop singers who can't sing. LOL.

I'm surprised other TC Helicon vocal processors have no MIDI connectivity but USB, especially the newer effects like Voicetone.

Back