vocal mixing fast rap

• Thread starter wickedrobfacekilla
  • Start date
W

wickedrobfacekilla

what is a good compression setting for a fast paced rapper?

what effects or e.q ing do you apply?

can i get any help on this?

good enuff to where you can hear and understand everyword....couldn't tell ya a setting

Lol,,,,,that question is like asking what kind of eq should you use on a person thats black...or whice one should you use on one thats white...lol

its all on what The ears tell you.

lol, actually if that person sent me a vocal track(black or white) i could easily give them a great eq setting.

that was a bad example you gave because
i obviously wasnt talking about the gain or what level to compress because any producer knows you cant ask someone how much to turn your levels down in a forum lol.

but you can find out from producers past experiences with fast rap if its cleaner to go easy on the attack an relaease or ruff, because of transiets..but you should know that right?

na i mean cus im a fast rapper. and i mean the people who mixes my music.

never really have had that discussion.

if you wanna hear one of my fast songs go to www.soundclick.com......i think im like number one in the freestyle charts.....for 344 words in one min.

Well of course it's up to your ears, but from my experience:
Take not a too short release otherwise you easily get holes in the verse, since usually the flow continues right after the compressor kicks in. Attack just as long as you need to keep the punch of the consonants. Ratio? well no tip for that, depends really on the dynamics of the take.
Furthermore my way is to already compress just a little bit while recording to get a good overall level into the computer.
The real compression and eqing I do later on, the latter depends on the frequencies of the voice and the instruments and the place where the voice is supposed to sit in the mix.

woa, dude can i email you everytime i have a question lol

im serious

Lol
Glad to help you out. Just take these settings as a starting point and try playing around from that.
:D
If you ask your questions here other people can also participate. I will watch out

I'll now tell u the downside to fast rapping. When u want to layer your vocals, you can make them sound thicker, but doing this to rapping can create many synching problems, and the faster the rapper, the worse it gets. It means u need to do lots and lots of takes and spend hours synching the vocals.
Of course you don't need to layer the whole thing but I personally do this with pretty much all the vocals and just set the levels of the layers right so that they suit the thickness perfectly. I then add layered addlib words and single section tracking to boost particular words if I feel I want to do that.
I work with different styles of singers/rappers and the guy that raps the fastest always takes so much longer to deal with compared to the singers.

Solstice

Back