Vocal effects in Far East Movement - LIKE A G6

cLk

Hi all.. first post here.

I've been listening to this song over and over and am blown away by the vocal processing and effects -- they are clean.. mad respect.

I'm wondering, what type of vocal effects were used on the hook, or main female vocal? I can't tell if the main effect is a vocoder and what else is used to create that effect. I can hear a lot of creative chopping and panning as well, but I'm most curious to know how they get THAT sound.

Anyone have any ideas about the hook, or any other vocal effects in the song?

Thanks!

Sean

p.s. sorry if this was asked already in another thread -- the search doesn't work with the words "like a G6" (too short or common)

Last edited:
Sounds like nothing a little EQ and reverb can't do.

The hook sounds very mid-frequency to me. Almost like a old-time radio EQ setting. Try rolling off the lows AND the highs. Play with it from there.

Thanks for the reply. It definitely sounds like there is a vocoder of some sort in there.

The acapella is available on gigacrate if you search for "Like a g6 acapella"

I don't hear a vocoder... that would make it sound more processed than it is. Maybe some kind of delay. But the echos you hear aren't even delay. It's just the producer chopping up the last line and repeating it softer.

It's a unique sound... but not something that your average Joe can't do with Fruity Loops.

I don't hear a vocoder... that would make it sound more processed than it is. Maybe some kind of delay. But the echos you hear aren't even delay. It's just the producer chopping up the last line and repeating it softer.

It's a unique sound... but not something that your average Joe can't do with Fruity Loops.

there is a vocoder, auto-tune is a vocoder
there also are also delays, they used a 1/4 note delay. and put it really low in the mix. this is a very common practice. it helps the vox sit better in the mix and it sounds more full.

they do chop the vox to make the stutter effect.

but you really don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't be tryin' to give advice if I was you.

there is a vocoder, auto-tune is a vocoder
.......but you really don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't be tryin' to give advice if I was you.

Definitely some Auto-tune going on...but, eh...Auto-tune is NOT a vocoder! So, don't put down others when you clearly don't know what you are talking about either. Peace ;)

Last edited:
Definitely some Auto-tune going on...but, eh...Auto-tune is NOT a vocoder! So, don't put down others when you clearly don't know what you are talking about either. Peace ;)

+1.

Just helping the dude out, hater. And my EQ suggestion is RIGHT.

The corrections to my response were trivial, and then wrong...

He must be a contrarian.

Last edited:

auto-tune is a vocoder. lol. google it

thats the only way it can process the sound and correct the pitch. dumb ass

"Auto-Tune is a proprietary[2] audio processor created by Antares Audio Technologies. Auto-Tune uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances. It is used to disguise off-key inaccuracies and mistakes, and has allowed singers to perform perfectly tuned vocal tracks without the need of singing in tune. While its main purpose is to slightly bend sung pitches to the nearest true semitone (to the exact pitch of the nearest tone in traditional equal temperament), Auto-Tune can be used as an effect to distort the human voice when pitch is raised/lowered significantly."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune#cite_note-newyorker-2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...how rude bro.

Citing wikipedia really does nothing for you, it is simply not an accurate source of information. But, as long as you believe it is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder

"The vocoder is related to, but essentially different from, the computer algorithm known as the "phase vocoder".

"Robot voices" became a recurring element in popular music during the late twentieth century. Several methods of producing variations on this effect have arisen, of which the vocoder remains the best known and most widely-used.[citation needed] The following other pieces of music technology are often confused with the vocoder: the Talk box (Sonovox), Auto-Tune, linear prediction vocoders, ring modulation, speech synthesis and comb filter.

There is really no reason to be a jerk PT8. You'll get a lot further in life/music/business if you step back, take a breath, and realize that now. I'm done...

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

One more thing...I might as well answer the question since I contributed to the hijacking of this thread. Sorry bout that cLK.

1. All of the vocals are sung (then re-sung again & again) and stacked very precisely.

2. They then probably ran them through Auto-tune for pitch correction. Not quite enough where you get the "T-Pain" effect...but close.

3. Next, a Lo-cut up to 100-200 Hz and then a Mid to Mid-Hi bump up (just experiment with the frequency, Q, and gain until it feels right.)

4. It's possible that there is a very subtle phaser or chorus effect (the flanging that Wes4Pres spoke of.) This could also be caused by the stacking of the vocals...

5. Some of the vocal phrases have delay that pans left/right, which is all done with automation.

6. Also, some of the vocal phrases are chopped up (manually more than likely) to get the "stutter" effect. The chopped up pieces are then pitched up or down a few semitones (depending on the vocal phrase.)

7. Standard vocal mixing techniques using de-essing, compression, and reverb are also used...

So, I'm sure I left something out, but that's roughly how you achieve this particular sound.

Looks like a dead post since a lot was posted a few months ago, but I saw the video of the cataracs making the beat and that Antares program was up and running on their screen.

i'm fascinated by this tune and just sorry that i've had to walk into a thread containing so many petty arguments. the things i hear in the female vocal are mainly the panned doubling and a subtle distortion, as well as the obvious use of editing.

if i were trying to emulate this i'd record the same part twice then pan these left and right, as the vocal sound is spread out and slightly differnt in each side. but this could have been acheived with an ADT like waves doubler hard panned - there is a sense of modulation between the two, and a kind of drifting feel between them, that could be made by automating the modulation parameters and even the volumes of each channel. (also gives that flanging sound when played in mono).

I'd use tons of compression and de-esser - no doubt about it, if you listen. Waves L1, maybe, for an ultra in your face sound? It even sounds like it's distorting, as if it's been run through a guitar amp or some software equivalent. this could account for the interesting midrange and the loss of hi and lo frequency ~ but this could be a combination of things including confident eq, or even compression - a compressor will essentially distort if you push it, and i wonder if this could be a factor.

i'm just really interested to know how much is edited and how much is run through cool effects like delay or tremolo (eg the word lllllike). and how prorgams like melodyne and autotune contribute to this.

top stuff :-)

I agree with the distortion part... whoever pointed that out.

I found an FX setting on my Kaoss Pad that will get me Like a G6 vocals instantly.

It's a combination of light distortion and delay... The chorus doesn't change note once... so it's possible that there's an autotune to keep it perfectly flat. But you just have a hard time hearing it because the notes don't change.

I agree with the distortion part... whoever pointed that out.

I found an FX setting on my Kaoss Pad that will get me Like a G6 vocals instantly.

It's a combination of light distortion and delay... The chorus doesn't change note once... so it's possible that there's an autotune to keep it perfectly flat. But you just have a hard time hearing it because the notes don't change.

A lot of times pitch correction is used as a form of harmonic excitement. This along with parallel distortion and eq, or high frequency modulation effects produce "excited" sounds, often more effectively than traditional exciters. Certain types of reverb can also be used as an exciter, or some conjunction of all three. Pitch shifting as well. I mixed a song, should be hitting Chicago radio tomorrow - Power 92.3 FM or something? Anyway, I used Melodyne to create a harmonic line that wasn't there and buss it to a reverb - it's a trick I learned from Pensado/Chris Athens.

I think those saying its a parallel distortion/eq kind of situation are right on the money. I was going to say multiband distortion but I'm assuming that's the same thing. Plug-ins that come to mind include d-16's Devastator, Audio Damage's Kombinat, or Ohm Force's Ohmicide. Also, it seems to me that the multi-band distortion is distorting most at the frequency of the note that is being "sang" the entire time, giving it a resonating effect. This is what I believe someone has referred to as "exciting" the track. This along with either some sort of very short delay or maybe flanger is doing all the magic on this. Of course the vocals are also smashed with compression/limiting, edited up, and auto-tuned but that's obviously not what we're talking about here.

Also worth noting, a few of the phrases the vocals are doubled, or copy/pasted without this effect. Phrases such as "gettin slizzered" and "like three-six." On these little phrases if you listen carefully you hear the vocal performer (we can't call this actual singing can we?) speaking the words more or less unaffected on top of the pitched track. Its an extremely creative vocal effect in my opinion. Likely stumbled onto by accident but that's why being in the studio is so much fun.

Back