Using a Sub with Small Monitors (3.5")

Hey guys, so I'm using Presonus ERIS 3.5 " monitors, which have been ok for my limited space. They lack real bass with a cutoff at 80Hz. So, I found an old Yamaha hifi sub on the cheap, that goes from 30Hz to about 130Hz. However, there's no crossover switch on it. A couple people I know said yeah, the Eris' would be able to reproduce the 80-130, but very weakly, whereas the sub provides And tbh, they do. They have a big punch with kicks but that's it. With this sub, music has COME TO LIFE. It's a monster.

My question is, can I get away with this setup as is? My Eris' have a -6dB EQ that rolls off 100Hz, I've tried dropping that way down and letting the sub do all the work.

You will end up with exaggerated low-end and your mixes will sound thin elsewhere. Subwoofers need precise measurement and calibration, or, at least, it should be a matched active satellite system.
Be careful with this.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly be careful. I can lower the sub volume so it's not overpowering. I'm listening to a lot of commercial records now to get the feel for the setup. What's a shocker for me is, I could only "hear" or "feel" these lows in headphones before, but now I can "feel" the presence, actual low end. I think that if I reference, test the mix out on various systems as usual, it'll be alright. The closest thing I can compare this to is the "oh let's test how it sounds in the car", which I can now have at my desktop. I'll let you know how it works out, cutting a new record this week!

Back