Using spreader plugin on a midi track

musiclover521

Hi producers,

I produce more midi than audio. When I apply image spreader plugin on a midi track the sound turns out sweet and wide. But how does the physics make sense using this plugin when you only have one midi track to work with? Also, am i supposed to also check phase on this one midi track after applying the plugin? Thanks.

musiclover521

Well, there's no such thing as "just MIDI" - MIDI is strictly note & control data and has nothing to do with the actual sound: in other words, if you're hearing something, then it's a sound source that your MIDI data is triggering; you are not listening to "MIDI itself" (because it's not possible). Any audio effects will work the same as they would on a regular audio track.

Yes i mean midi connected to a sound source not just the notes. I'm curious when you apply the spreader plugin on one midi track which is connected to a sound, not audio how would that work if it's only one track. Does the DAW automatically duplicate the sound then make it sound wide?

Think of midi like a piece of paper with words. The paper doesn't make any sound. A person has to say those words for them to make sounds.

You can't apply effects to a piece of paper. You can apply effects to the voice though.

You can't apply effects to a midi track. You can apply effects to the sound that the midi triggers. Just because the note on your screen looks like a single note, it doesn't mean that the sound being produced is just one channel.

Back