using a cheap mic

ndnsoulja

hello, im pretty new to this music stuff. im trying to record a song using a cheap mic that comes with the computer( i know..don't laugh) but i cant afford a condesor mic yet. and i've heard some songs done by people in studio mics that sound really good where u can hear alot in the voice. so my question is, is there a way for me to record w/ the mic that came w/ the computer and be able to add effects on the recording( like in sound forge or audition) to make it sound better? also have any of u ever recorded a decently good song off the mic that comes w/ the computer?

Adding effects in this kind of situation is really just hiding the crappiness of the signal, not really making it better. If the sound source is bad, it won't get any better no matter how much effects and processing you apply...

you know there are a lot of options in price between mics costing over a grand and the mic that came with your computer.

some dynamic mics can be good for vocals, specially if you dont have the room to use a good condenser to its fullest. get an sm58 or something.

thanks for all the inputs
my next questions how Hz should i look into? i don't know which one might be good or what might not be? i guess depending on the kind of recording i wanna do it would all depend on that but what Hz of frequency is good for what kind of vocals?

Most decently-priced mics these days have a pretty flat and wide frequency response. To answer your question more directly, 20 to 20kHz is pretty standard. 40 to 16kHz is still good; most people won't notice the difference.

For reference, human ears can only handle roughly 20 to 20kHz...

I recommend the Shure SM-58 or 58-Beta. The SM-57 or 57-Beta could also work. There are, of course, equivalents from other companies, but these are tried and true, both on stage and in the studio.

Haven't had much experience with dynamic mics on vocals, but I'd go for a pop filter, too, just in case.

Last edited:
audiotecnicality said:

Haven't had much experience with dynamic mics on vocals, but I'd go for a pop filter, too, just in case.

i don't understand the part arout pop filter? is that like a feature on mics? isn't Shure SM-58/58-Beta dynamic mic, should i consider getting a condensor mic or is that too sensitive since im gonna be recording at home...

No, a pop filter is a 6" diameter screen with a gooseneck which clamps onto the mic stand. You place about 4" in front of the mic, and it's usually very soft material, stretched taught - meant to absorb sudden large puffs of air.

This will probably not work well but I remembering hearing somewhere about a plug-in that can be used to emulate different kinds of mics. I think its called mic modeler, anyone know of this or have any experience with it. Apparently it allows you to use any cheap cruddy mic you got but then you can use the plug-in to emulate some of the high-end mics.

Just a thought

The Antares Mic Modeler does model the characteristics of several classic high-end mics, but it can't really upgrade a crappy signal into goodness. It's just band-aid in this case.

Back