Tuning your Room?

hilos20

What up FP?!

I've been hearing both good and bad things about this DBX DriveRack PX that Auto Eq's with a MiC with your powered speakers. When I cop my Hs50 with the Sub how do I go about getting the best possible room setup? Spectrum Analyzer? UltraCurve? or DBX? I'm still a bit new so any information would be great.

Thanks,

get some basstraps.

these room-analyzer/equalizer concepts are wrong by design. they are a band-aid in certain concert situations. but seriously problematic in monitoring applications. treat the room, not the signal.

Hire a professional in the field of acoustics that knows what he's doing, and they can point out your problem areas, or if you wanna do the math involved get a mic, some test tones, sine and white noise for example and an analyzer and read as much as you can on the subject

You can go to the auralex site and get a free room analysis to see what and where you need to place your sound treatment.

Don't waste money or time on all of that if you have a small room. It is what it is and some things will just need to be done.

Bass traps: Treat every corner from floor to ceiling and you wont go wrong.

Absorbtion: Place some foam at the point of the first refelction of the speaker in a straight line to the wall.

Diffusion: The wall behind your mix position could use something like the auralex diffusor stuffed with fiberglass insualtion to give a broadban approach.

Those simple things will tame a lot and help get a better mix.

FOAM IS THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT USING!

I mean that seriously. Ignore Auralex and anyother of the foam pushers. The first places you need to start are:
www.realtraps.com
www.gikacoustics.com
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Foam based acoustic treatment can be usefull but generally only as small spot treatments AFTER you've taken care of all of the broadband traping.

Anything made of foam and labled a "bass trap" is going to be very inaffective, so generally it's good to ignore them.

The types of material that you need to be looking for are going to be based on rigid fiber glass, something like OC703, OC705fsk, Rockwool ect...

If any of the comercial broadband treatments are out of your price range you can take the DIY approach, or get some kits from www.readyacoustics.com

I am by no means pushing Auralex I think it is way overpriced, but to say foam in no good is wrong.

You have to look at each material and its NRC per inch and range of frequencies affected.

Also it doesnt have to be rigid fiberglass. It just so happens that 703 is quite effective, makes nice panels and easier to handle than plain old fiberglass.

Realtraps are good broadband absorbers but not really effective for corner bass traps. The only right way to treat corners is by building mass of fiberglass in the corner and then a cover is put over it. Typically a 1/4 inch finish panel which acts as the main energy absorber at about 125 HZ. It takes about 2 foot of depth from that plate to the corner filled with fiberglass to get down into the 30HZ range.

All of those products out on the web whether they be auralex real traps or anyone sell the quick fix products.

Just choose what you like and can afford.

Last edited:
Tim20 said:
I am by no means pushing Auralex I think it is way overpriced, but to say foam in no good is wrong.

What I was saying was that foam products are the LAST thing you use not the first thing you buy nor are they any type of all in one studio solution. Companies like auralex tend to market their foam based products in "kits" that are all you need. This is why they are no good.

Back