Transferring vinyl to mp3?

mikehende

How do you guys transfer your records to mp3's? I want to go straight from the Turntable into the pc [via the line-in] bypassing the use of a mixer, any of you do this? If so, which software do you all use to do this?

Thanks, I want to use a software which will record to mp3 without myself having to do any adjustments to the file like adjusting volume levels, bitrates e.t.c

you will still need a phono-preamp and an AD-converter (a soundcard). you can record it with any audio-software on the planet, even with winamp.

I can run the turntable through a regular Receiver or mixer and route the output through the line-in on the soundcard but I have heard guys say they run the turntable directly into the soundcard, I have an EMU 0404, called them up yesterday and they said I can go straight into the line-in, if so and I will know soon, the only thing is to use a software which will record it as mp3 or wav.

you cannot go strait into line-in with a phono-signal, all you will hear is a thin and very high sound. phono signals are "encoded" in some way, it is called the "riaa curve". you need a special preamp to "decode" the signal.

most regular amps have already phono preamp build in (and of course any dj mixer). but the phono signal IS NOT a line-signal. you can record a phono signal directly with an AD, but you won't get the "real full sound" doing so. use a phono-amp and everything will be fine. even my granpa knows this.

Last edited:
moses said:
even my granpa knows this.

That's the best explanation I have gotten explaining this, thanks. The reason I asked is because I was told that certain soundcards like the EMU has a built-in preamp, I was told last night that my particular EMU0404 does not have it but I will call EMU again today to confirm, my regards to the Grandpa:cheers:

Yes, I was correct, the EMU 1820 has a built-in preamp. I will try using the Rec Out from the Tape section on my receiver to the line-in on my soundcard to see if this works.

Last edited:
once you've got it all figured out, think about converting your audio to WAV. fuuk mp3

Back