Transfering Data From Cool Edit to Sonar...

A

Altered Persona

Well...a buddy and I want to get a cd mastered ,so we called up a guy to do this for us... Well the thing is, he wants the save data (not the wave or mp3, soundformat etc) I did most of the recording in Cool Edit and the guy doing the mastering has Sonar... Does cool edit have a format in which Sonar can open and display the information or waveforms as they were in cool edit pro?

Last edited by a moderator:
He wants the save data?

How did you record the audio? If you used Broadcast Wave then these files can be imported to their origins, and as such keep the arrangement.

I have the same problem, but how to get data from cooledit to Cubase.
I allready posted a new thread about that. please help

[Shizo] said:
Not that i know of, but why can't you just give him the WAV tracks? It's the same thing.

hmmm.... that's what I thought... it's kinda crazy ...

oh I used cool edit for recording don't know if it is broad cast waves or not...

appreciate the replies... any suggestions welcomed

That's interesting Carnage.
You mean, the broadcast wave also stores the relative position of a wav file in a multitrack and should automatically snap to its correct position when imported into a different app? I never got it to work neither in Cubase SX nor in Logic so I assumed the timecode in the broadcast wav is just informative but not functional, like in MIDI files. Any detail on that one would be welcome.

cheers
B#

What about this question...

Carnage said:

cant you find out?

specifically when I save them.. the option that I pick is "Windows PCM (*.wav)" Are they suppose to be similar or not?

A better question to probably ask is can I save the session (.ses file) in Cool Edit and can someone else in Sonar bring up the Cool Edit session with the exact Wave form placements?

appreciate replys

R2B said:
That's interesting Carnage.
You mean, the broadcast wave also stores the relative position of a wav file in a multitrack and should automatically snap to its correct position when imported into a different app? I never got it to work neither in Cubase SX nor in Logic so I assumed the timecode in the broadcast wav is just informative but not functional, like in MIDI files. Any detail on that one would be welcome.

cheers
B#

Yes, Ive got ity to work in SX. I think its quite a new format o an older version of Logic might not support it. I will try and provide more details soon. PM me if I dont.

Altered Persona! Here's what to do.

Set the markers (or whatever Cool Edit uses to determine the length of the file to be bounced down) to the very beginning of the song and very end.

Solo each track in turn and bounce down for the wholoe length of the song. (this means each track bounced down file will contain lengthsd of silence, but it doesnt matter)

You will now have 15 (or so) tracks all of equal length.

When you open these in Sonar, makng sure each file is pulled right to the start, when you press play the song will play back exactly as it did in Cool Edit.

Make mine a Carlsberg!!

Carnage said:
He wants the save data?

How did you record the audio? If you used Broadcast Wave then these files can be imported to their origins, and as such keep the arrangement.

what is broadcast wave?, i see PCM, ADPCM, A/mu-law. Which one do I have to chose.

when i Import a wave file into cubase sx (file-->import->audiofile), the file is being imported at the position of the 'project cursor'

can you explain how you did it?

Last edited:
el_hefe said:

what is broadcast wave?, i see PCM, ADPCM, A/mu-law. Which one do I have to chose.

when i Import a wave file into cubase sx (file-->import->audiofile), the file is being imported at the place of the 'project cursor'

can you explain how you did it?

You can only choose it if it is there, and it will only be there if the audio app supports it.

Audio-wise, Broadcast Wave files are the same as regular Wave files.
They have the same options as Wave files, with the following additions:
• There are no Coding (compression) options for Broadcast Waves.
• Options opens a dialog in which you can specify a number
of text strings to be included in the file.
This allows you to embed information in the file, such as author, description etc.
Furthermore, a Timecode position is included in the file, allowing you to insert exported
audio at the correct position in other applications, video projects, etc. By default, the
Timecode position is set to the start position of the exported audio in the project (i.e.
the left locator position), but you can adjust this in the Options dialog if needed.

Carnage said:

Yes, Ive got ity to work in SX. I think its quite a new format o an older version of Logic might not support it. I will try and provide more details soon. PM me if I dont.

Altered Persona! Here's what to do.

Set the markers (or whatever Cool Edit uses to determine the length of the file to be bounced down) to the very beginning of the song and very end.

Solo each track in turn and bounce down for the wholoe length of the song. (this means each track bounced down file will contain lengthsd of silence, but it doesnt matter)

You will now have 15 (or so) tracks all of equal length.

When you open these in Sonar, makng sure each file is pulled right to the start, when you press play the song will play back exactly as it did in Cool Edit.

Make mine a Carlsberg!!

Carlsberg it is!! hehe... cool... why didn't I think of that before... ha... I use that way to get stuff to acid from cool... should work for cool to sonar the same way....duuuh!... Niiiice... That should do it... Thanks Carnage...pz

Back