Tracked out song in folder before mastering... over 1GB ?

priceless20xx

I want to send a tracked out beat I made in FL studio, I used the split mixer tracks option when exporting to wav files... I get a folder of all the wav files but the entire folder is like 1GB ? Is it normal ? It's a 4 min song...

It's related to the audio format and the number of tracks.
Formats > MB par minute
44k 16 bit > 10,0936889648437
48k 16 bit > 10,9863281250000
88k 16 bit > 20,1873779296875
96k 16 bit > 21,9726562500000
44k 24 bit > 15,1405334472656
48k 24 bit > 16,4794921875000
88k 24 bit > 30,2810668945312
96k 24 bit > 32,9589843750000
For 32 bit, just muliply the 16 bit data by 2.

You can also compress your folder to a .zip or .rar

Last edited:
sounds like you tracked out the song in it's entirety instead of pattern by pattern (4, 8, or 16 bar loops) so now you have 4 min wav files for each pattern you used, which is why it is so big.

Last edited:
Thanks my wave files are 44100 Hz... I thought the empty space in the wav files would not count in file size, but I see it does... which make every wav file the same size, even though it's just one clap playing for 2 seconds out of a 4 min song, it still will be like 50MB for just this one clap and the empty 3.58 minutes of silence right after it... Thanks for the explanation though. I'm also wondering if doing a strong compression of a folder in winrar will keep the same sound quality once extracted...

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

sounds like you tracked out the song in it's entirety instead of pattern by pattern (4, 8, or 16 bar loops) so now you have 4 min wav files for each pattern you used, which is why it is so big.
Yeah that's exactly what I did, and the reason I did it is to make things easier for the engineer, so he just has to layer each instrument without having to place everything again in the right order

Last edited:

Yeah that's exactly what I did, and the reason I did it is to make things easier for the engineer, so he just has to layer each instrument without having to place everything again in the right order

yeah, when i was first sending out a tracked out beat i did the same exact thing with the same thing in mind lol, but i knew there was no way i was going to be able to email a file so large... which is why i just send a "reference track" mp3 inside the folder which is the beat in it's entirety. Most engineers just want the wav files to be equal in length thats all... As far as compressing, long as the rar file doesnt exceed 25 mb (gmail and yahoo limit) you should be fine

EDIT: Oh in edition to being equal in length, they want all files properly named too lol.

Last edited:
Thanks my wave files are 44100 Hz... I thought the empty space in the wav files would not count in file size, but I see it does... which make every wav file the same size, even though it's just one clap playing for 2 seconds out of a 4 min song, it still will be like 50MB for just this one clap and the empty 3.58 minutes of silence right after it... Thanks for the explanation though. I'm also wondering if doing a strong compression of a folder in winrar will keep the same sound quality once extracted...

Both data compression systems are lossless. They're pure mathematical systems which allow a perfect reconstruction of the initial data.
Having all tracks with the same duration simplifies the mix session creation. All stays in sync easily...

Last edited:
yeah, when i was first sending out a tracked out beat i did the same exact thing with the same thing in mind lol, but i knew there was no way i was going to be able to email a file so large... which is why i just send a "reference track" mp3 inside the folder which is the beat in it's entirety. Most engineers just want the wav files to be equal in length thats all... As far as compressing, long as the rar file doesnt exceed 25 mb (gmail and yahoo limit) you should be fine

EDIT: Oh in edition to being equal in length, they want all files properly named too lol.

Yeah I think you're right lol, I will do it that way

Both data compression systems are lossless. Ther're pure mathematical systems which allow a perfect reconstruction of the initial data.
Having all tracks with the same duration simplifies the mix session creation. All stays in sync easily...
OK, thanks

Back