Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Down Mixing - Fact or Fiction - How many of you do this?

Thanks

Top Down Mixing - Fact or Fiction - How many of you do this?

Sign in to disable this ad
    The Art Of Top Down Mixing The Recording Revolution

I've never heard of starting with the master after you've set your faders and pan pots. That seems to go against everything I've heard.
    Last edited by crimsonhawk47; 06-20-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    well i usually do that ...you kinda " master " it before you start arranging so it sounds pretty damn good while your creating sounds and what not ...of coarse in the end you do the FINAL MASTER on a separate session.

Thanks
    looks like a bunch of nonsense to me.
    I am expressing my opinion.
    Please feel free to express yours, too.
    This is a discussion forum, after all.
    Have fun.

Thanks
    agree with dvyce

it is not top down mixing, it is top down processing
    Last edited by bandcoach; 06-24-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    it is not top down mixing, it is top down procesing
    Either way, it is still nonsense.

nonsense on a conceptual level regardless of what it is called.
    Last edited by dvyce; 06-24-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    Mixing to the bus? Is that what we're talking about because new terminology for an old technique doesn't help anyone.

Thanks
    ^^Welcome back.^^

Back on topic. I don't know if I could even mix with this "top down" stuff. I'd be going back to the master bus every time I tweaked something because it's having a bad effect on the master.

The entire point of good recordings is to get things to be as good as they can be for mixing. The entire point of mixing is to get things to be as good as they can be for mastering. The entire point of mastering is to get things to be as good as they can be, period.

This "top down mixing" idea is very ass-backwards. If I put in a ton of work on the master fader to make things sound as good as I possibly can, won't I be ruining all the work when I go down to the bus/channel level? It's like building the entire house exterior and doing the foundation last. What happens if there's a very fundamental issue with one of the sounds in the channel level? As soon as you discover that issue, it will invalidate all of the work on the master bus.

My advice to anyone, don't do it.
    Last edited by sleepy; 06-25-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    ^^^^this

I tried to articulate this last night but couldn't (head cold (middle of winter here in aus))
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Gary Noble who is a freakin' pro's pro says he does something similar.

He says he adjusts his pans, faders, does a qick EQ mix and then masters the track.

After he masters it he does a refined EQing to finishing off the mix, because mastering a track usually changes the texture of your mix, hence the need to refine it in ways your mastering tools normally can't.

source: Psychology of a Mix Engineer: An Interview With Gary Noble | Modern Mixing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CM03 View Post
    Gary Noble who is a freakin' pro's pro says he does something similar.

He says he adjusts his pans, faders, does a qick EQ mix and then masters the track.

After he masters it he does a refined EQing to finishing off the mix, because mastering a track usually changes the texture of your mix, hence the need to refine it in ways your mastering tools normally can't.

source: Psychology of a Mix Engineer: An Interview With Gary Noble | Modern Mixing

that is not what he said in that interview. You completely changed the essence of what he was saying in your paraphrasing.

he said a lot of times he puts nothing on the master bus (and goes on to say hardly ever)... But when he does, it is a tape emulator and occasionally some eq... And this is only when mixing ITB.

this is 100% different from thus "top down mixing" crap..

Here is the relevant section of the interview you linked to:

In regards to in the box processing, what’s on your mix buss?

A lot of times, I don’t use anything but when I do I like to use things like the ATR 102 from UAD, which is an emulation of the Ampex Tape Machine. Every now and then, I might put on a multiband EQ like a Pultec but usually it’s just the ATR 102. I don’t really go crazy with the master bus. Even when I was mixing strictly analog, I hardly ever put anything on the output of the console.

And when you do put these plugins on, do you mix through them?

Yeah, and I find it works better that way when I put it on at the beginning of the mix than if I finish the mix and feed it through it. So what I do with the master bus is I’ll get a rough balance going and get it to the point where all the levels are relatively balanced and then I’ll put it on. Then I do all the tweaking and fine tuning from then on. If I did the mix where it sounded good to me and then I put it on, it would change the spectral balance. I know this term has been over used but it gives it a “glue” or sonic sheen to the sound.
    I am expressing my opinion.
    Please feel free to express yours, too.
    This is a discussion forum, after all.
    Have fun.

Thread Information