too much bass while recording

C

captdoobij

allright i've been recording my mixes to sound forge v5.0 to hear what it sounds like and what went well and blah blah blah. I open up a new file to 44,100 sample rate and 24 bit depth and mono channel. The problem is that when i record stuff from my setup (vestax pmc 170a mixer) into the computer using the line in i get my mixes sounding very bassy. It sounds as thought there is just too much base. I usually keep the lows on my mixer at about -5 or 10db and the trim at about 50%. Is there anyway to get the base down somehow or make it sounds less horrible. I am using onboard sound until i get money to get better components. Or if there is a way to lower the bass in sound forge itself.

Also what would be the best configuration to record stuff to my computer with respect to file types, sample rates, bit depths ect and what should i preferably keep the settings on my mixer at.

Check settings in windows (if using windows), and also play around with bass settings on mixer, your master could be up a little high. I usually record at a level a little softer than i desire, and that usually works for me. In sound forge, you can adjust EQ setting. and it's pretty flexible, but if recording is to loud this won't help. (on mine...EQ parameters can be found by clicking on PROCESS at the top.)

Ok first thing I noticed is.. why are you recording in mono? Are you using the mic input on your soundcard instead of the line-in? Do you want stereo? :)

Ok next is the windows sound settings.. this is how it is for me... win 98. It should be the same for most on windows.

1. double click on the volume control/speaker on your system tray (where the clock is)

2. go to options ---> properties

3. set the "adjust volume for" radio button ----> Recording. This levels your volumes and gets rid of the horrible treble/bass windows EQ.

4. adjust your line-in volume accordingly.

That should do it. Otherwise, check the EQ settings on your mixer, and check the settings on your reciever/amp for a boost bass or something like that. Also, the higher the sample rate/depth basically means higher the quality but also more space taken on your HD. So if you have a big HD keep it at those settings.
And have fun. :D

This should be easy

Yo,

On ur mixer, if it's good, you should have 'KILL' switches, letting you adjust Treble/Bass. Make sure that the Treble and Bass are equal to each other or both are set at the default 'middle' setting. When u record, make sure that this is all OK. If it still soundz bassy, put the treble higher than the bass and see wot that does for ya.

Clo :bat:

Back