Too many volume controls?

Chisel

All of my MIDI equipment has separate volume controls. All the equipment is plugged into my mixer which has a volume control, and then the audio is plugged into my SP-808 which has separate volume control, and then its plugged into my pre-amps which have separate volume control, and from there it goes into my keyboard speakers which have a separate volume control, and finally it gets routed to my soundcard which has its own volume control. My question is, what are the proper level adjustments I should make on all this equipment? Is there a rule of thumb to go by?

Thanks

Ummm...

Not too sure but I would say:

Let's say you have a synth...It should be turned up as high as it can go withot peaking, then everything it goes thru should be left at neutral(normal volume...no gain, no reduction).

That's what I would say...but I could be wrong...I don't use midi gear.

I find that on a lot of my gear, the best volume level is about 3/4 of the way up. If you make something too loud it sometimes gets distorted (especially with consumer level equipment). Try to keep everything as loud as possible as long as possible. You want to turn things down at the last possible place so that you get the best signal to noise ratio.

As sixxxhole says...it is better to be able to control the volume from the last possible place (the desk....).
You want to try to get the best possible volume from the instrument as possible but you don't want to overdo it. Head towards the top of the range but make sure that you don't push the instrument's output too hard. If you can control the volume from the desk from between a good quiet and a good loud, you've done the trick.

Stmoo

Back