Tips On Using Vocal FX

Gouryella91

I need help understanding how to get that 'epic' quality sound from using FX on vocals (stuff like reverb, delay, vocoder stuff). I understand that you have to have a good source quality and recorder, that you have to eq it, but after that I'm usually lost. So if anyone has help on how to use vocoders,delay, reverb, or any other FX in combination, that would help a lot.

I also am starting to play with melodyne and autotune. Fun pitch correction stuff. how do you guys use these FX, as well?

Compression is very important on vocals, i usually compress before I do any EQ. Once you have a nice level vocal track you can start playing around with effects.

When using effects like reverb and delay, it is best to have them on an aux channel and sending part of your dry vocal signal to it.

Pitch correction tools, Eq and compression are usually only used for correction and are not so much fx. They are basically used to make better what is already there than to add some spice to it. You can use these as fx though if you want. Using EQ to make the vocal into a telephone voice is what I would call fx, but bringing out the prescence by raising a bit between 1khz and 6khz (Depending on the vocal.) I would not call fx. Not a clear line but there is a difference here.

Reverbs and delays are usually fx (always?) and can be added if you think the vocal needs them. A vocoder is a rarely used fx (Some would say this is too much :)) that you can add if you think the music will suit it.

My opinion is that the most important things to learn about here are EQ and Compression as these get used the most and they both seem to have a never-ending learning curve.

Connect your headphones to your computer. For best results, use a high-quality pair of monitor headphones. For basic recording efforts, though, any pair of working headphones will suffice.

I always use a lo & hi pass filter on my vocals then EQ and compress. from there i send the track to a seperate FX track where i add my reverb and delay. my FX are dependant on the overall mix of my track, listen to your beat and imagine where you would like your vocals to be placed, on the FX track try your best to place your vocals in the correct space. when it comes to FX less is more.

Back