Tips for making my song fuller?

Re-K

Hey guys!
So I've been working on this song from time to time. There are still things about the song i want to finish and it hasnt gone through much EQing because i usually leave that for last (Not sure if its a good idea or not) but i don't feel like my song feels full. There is so much empty space that i feel could be utilized. I'm sure it comes in during the EQing/mastering stage, but im still not good with either. If you guys have any tips at all, let me know. Anything would help!

I would post a link to the song but i dont have enough posts yet. not sure if doing so is against forum rules. I'm new here :)

It's good to see that you respect the community and not just spamming us with your links. But I doubt it will be against the rules to post your song if you need help with it.

Anyway, when you listen to other songs in the genre that you're making what is your song missing? You can simply figure out how to make your song to sound fuller by comparing it to other songs.

But what are you referring to when you say fuller? Do you mean more instrumentation or to make the sounds in your song to sound thicker and punchy?

In that case: https :// soundcloud. com /enrique-hernandez-65/ 75-percent

(Delete all the spaces because it wouldnt let me post the link)

I feel like it has enough instruments but it lacks a background. Things just come at you in one direction instead of having space.

In that case: https :// soundcloud. com /enrique-hernandez-65/ 75-percent

(Delete all the spaces because it wouldnt let me post the link)

I feel like it has enough instruments but it lacks a background.

Soundcloud says the song has been removed. Maybe I messed up the link.

Anyway, if you think it has enough instrumentation then the problem is that your instruments sound thin and lack punch. Before you fix that in the mix, you have to see how you can get your song to sound fuller during sound design or during recording. Layering your sounds is also a good technique to make your song sound fuller.

Once you have the recording or sound design right and done some layering then the song should definitely sound full.

Things just come at you in one direction instead of having space.

Use effects such as reverb, delay, chorus and stereo enhancers to put your mix in a 3 dimensional space. Also use panning and Mid-Side processing to fix your stereo field problems and to avoid having your sounds coming out in 1 direction.

Soundcloud says the song has been removed. Maybe I messed up the link.

Anyway, if you think it has enough instrumentation then the problem is that your instruments sound thin and lack punch. Before you fix that in the mix, you have to see how you can get your song to sound fuller during sound design or during recording. Layering your sounds is also a good technique to make your song sound fuller.

Once you have the recording or sound design right and done some layering then the song should definitely sound full.

Use effects such as reverb, delay, chorus and stereo enhancers to put your mix in a 3 dimensional space. Also use panning and Mid-Side processing to fix your stereo field problems and to avoid having your sounds coming out in 1 direction.

Oops that was completely my fault:
https:// soundcloud. com/ thelowkeyfile/75-percent

I’ll definitely take all of this into account! Layering is one of those things ive tried but i feel i could never get it down without the sounds being pretty much identical. It’ll be a lot of youtubing honestly lol

Layer the snare. You have a top snare drum, layer it with a bottom snare drum to make it sound fuller.

The kick and the bass on that song are not working well together they're playing in the same frequencies. The bass still needs proper sound design. I would change that kick, it sounds thin for my liking or you can layer it with a sub-kick to get it to sound fuller. The low-end of your song needs a lot of work.

For the kick and bass, you have to decide which sound will dominate 60Hz and below then which sound will dominate the range between 70Hz to around 110Hz. But it will be hard for you to achieve that because that bass will sound terrible if you let it dominate 60Hz and below. If you try to let it dominate 60Hz and below the bass notes won't be audible, you won't be able to tell which notes are being played.

The kick is also not strong enough to dominate those low frequencies. So it's a Catch-22.

The easiest way to fix your low-end problem is to find a better kick or layer it with a sub-kick. The way that bass is designed it will sound good if you let it dominate 70Hz and above.

Back