Tips on getting crackling noise out of a sample?

G Swift

Alright I have this track I want to push but there are a few little tweeks needed especially getting a dusty sound out of one of the samples...

I'm using a MPC 2500.. I'm thinking about getting a mixing desk if i can get the cash togethre to try and improve my sound?

Has anybody got any tips on getting the dusty sound out?

Why on EARTH would you want to remove the crackle from a sample?!? That where a good sample gets it's feel from.

Anyways, if you insist, a high-pass filter + crackle remover should do the trick.

What program are you chopping/manipulating your samples in?

I know what ya mean I like dirty sounding tracks but this is only in parts and i don't think it sounds good...

i do everything on my MPC 2500... it has low/band/high filters but i don't thinkl there great...

Crackle remover? I'll check it out ...thanks

G Swift said:
I'm using a MPC 2500.. I'm thinking about getting a mixing desk if i can get the cash togethre to try and improve my sound?

Has anybody got any tips on getting the dusty sound out?
getting a mixing desk isn't going to really improve your sound, improving your mixing skills would actually do more for you than a peice of equipment. as for the cracklin sound, if you still have access to the record, clean it and re-record the sample, thats ur best bet. after that, look for a "crackle remover" in whateva software you have, most have some sort of plugin that handles that, but it's not 100% and it's gonna change (read: possibly ruin) the sound of the sample. so your best bet is to physically wash the record with some record cleaner (i use mild soap and water with a baby toothbrush), clean it up and re-record the sample, that will go alot farther than using a plugin, cause all the one's i've used always alter the sound of the sample. granted i've only used the noise joints in Audition and the Waves one, but i prefer to clean my record, trust me, there'll still be plenty crackle left, this is just the best method i've found for "removing" crackle. i like a lil crackle, but i don't want it to sound like i'm fryin chicken on a hot plate in my studio.
LevLove

Last edited:
LevLover said:
getting a mixing desk isn't going to really improve your sound, improving your mixing skills would actually do more for you than a peice of equipment. as for the cracklin sound, if you still have access to the record, clean it and re-record the sample, thats ur best bet. after that, look for a "crackle remover" in whateva software you have, most have some sort of plugin that handles that, but it's not 100% and it's gonna change (read: possibly ruin) the sound of the sample. so your best bet is to physically wash the record with some record cleaner (i use mild soap and water with a baby toothbrush), clean it up and re-record the sample, that will go alot farther than using a plugin, cause all the one's i've used always alter the sound of the sample. granted i've only used the noise joints in Audition and the Waves one, but i prefer to clean my record, trust me, there'll still be plenty crackle left, this is just the best method i've found for "removing" crackle. i like a lil crackle, but i don't want it to sound like i'm fryin chicken on a hot plate in my studio.
LevLove
LMAO!!!

Try researching "Audio Restoration" and these terms:

hiss
humm
noise
clicks
pops
crackle
vinyl noise

noise reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of vinyl crackle is always nice and warm and fuzzy, but extra loud pops and spikes can be a pain. My advice is to import your sample into a software with proper audio editing capabilities and draw out the offensive spikes yourself. Pick a software that allows you to zoom in on the waveform and smooth em all out with the spike removal pencil. Logic, Peak and Cubase and a ton of other programs all have this feature. It may be a bit more time-consuming than the automated solutions, but it gives you way more control, at least if you wanna keep the overall vinyl crackle feel and just get rid of the loud pops.

Good luck mang!

/Maxim

There are consistency issues as well, remember. If a crackly sample appears periodically but not all the time, you will need to find some way of generating the crackle all the way through, or it sounds disjointed, which makes it difficult for the listener to settle into the groove, which is what your ultimate goal should always be if your aim is for people to like your music. Ultimately, like many things in this age of DAW and flaw, it's going to be a compromise. Best to start with a plugin for a single sample, and judge for yourself if the effects of removing the noise are offset by the quality of the sound, especially in the context of the project you intend to use it in. In the end, these are decisions you can only make for yourself. The topic is too subjective at every level. Some will say get rid of it, others will say leave it alone, still others will say remove as much as you can without affecting the impact of the sample in your piece (my view), and still others will say that you should look for some restoration plugs in your plugins, especially things like Steinberg's grungelizer plug, which simulates vinyl crackle very effectively and in an automatable manner (my view), and still others who will say bollox to the final quality, let's go lo-fi and sod 'em!

I hope this has been of some help. If you remember to take all of those views, measure their pros and cons, and inform yourself, you will be able to decide which combination of the above applies best to your workflow and sensibilities. Have fun finding out. I prefer a combination of the two marked processes, because they will tend to give the best results if you can't clean up the sample without removing the vibrancy of the sample. It's a balancing act, as is much of the recording of music.

I'll be honest I've not read the response so excuse if I tread on any toes....

If I want a sample. I remake it. If I cant get the sound tone "feel" of the same. I session it out.

Here you have creative control, the chance to inprint your own mark on the audio and obviously avoid having to share any of the pennies with Mr Original Composer.

People are getting lazy in music. Its this whole FL music in a box mentality.

Here's a task for you;

Next time you find a sample you love, take a pen...

loop the sample..

List everything in it.

Instrument wise.

Then close your eyes and figure out the progression.

open your DAW and with the loop playing
build a track around it

afterwards you "should" be able to mute the sample.

and still actually have it playing.. because...... you've just remade it.

Now get a beer.

and be proud that you actually did something.

the next task, is to actually make it different.

On a side note, I've even been employed to make a loop someones made to sound like a sample.

running it through some special boxes with knobs that you twist on.

you know the kind.

those magic boxes.

anyway.

Top gears on.

Peace.x

Last edited:
Maxim said:
A bit of vinyl crackle is always nice and warm and fuzzy, but extra loud pops and spikes can be a pain. My advice is to import your sample into a software with proper audio editing capabilities and draw out the offensive spikes yourself. Pick a software that allows you to zoom in on the waveform and smooth em all out with the spike removal pencil. Logic, Peak and Cubase and a ton of other programs all have this feature. It may be a bit more time-consuming than the automated solutions, but it gives you way more control, at least if you wanna keep the overall vinyl crackle feel and just get rid of the loud pops.

Wow, that's good advice.

Maxim said:

Good luck mang!

/Maxim
sounded like awe. that is good advice, i've actually done this manually in Audition. zoomin in on the spikes and bring'em down manually allows you to keep the crackle but gets rid of the anoying spikes/pop/clicks so you can still settle into the groove. it does take a bit of time, but i don't mind rollin up my sleeves and using a lil elbow grease. the sample actually came out better then when i used the click remover tool.
LevLove

Last edited:
Back