TIP: How to step up your mixing and mastering game.

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. Just one more quick question. How come you don't have any make up gain on the compressor? You find it better to do all the make up gain with the limiter?

i have waves plugins but because of this post i thought it would be fun to experiment with free plugins ive dl the Kjaerhus bundle you suggested looks like a API knock off seem cool. i dont mean to go off on a tangent but could you suggest a specific GOOD free paragraphic EQ? im looking for something surgeical

Last edited:
i have waves plugins but because of this post i thought it would be fun to experiment with free plugins ive dl the Kjaerhus bundle you suggested looks like a API knock off seem cool. i dont mean to go off on a tangent but could you suggest a specific GOOD free paragraphic EQ? im looking for something surgeical

The best free eq's I've found is Slim Slow Slider Linear Phase Graphic Eq 2, BootEQ mkII, and Matthew Lindsay NCL Eq. Blue Cat has a nice free eq also.

http://www.uv.es/ruizcan/p_vst.htm

http://www.voxengo.com/group/freevst/

Baxxpander is a bass enhancer
Xcita is a harmonic exciter
Stereo Touch is a stereo enhancer

and StereoTool by Flux is on my page and is a great stereo imager.

But remember I don't recommend using any of these (except Flux Stereo Tool) because you should fix the problems before these tools are needed. Bass enhancer doesn't mean drop this plug on every bass and kick for a great hard hitting bass sound. It means use this only when your bass is lacking, but 99 times out of 100 the only thing lacking in the bass is the ability to hear it through crappy monitors. And usually better mixes have the bass turned down lower than you would like.

thank u so much...MorningStar....I'm your newest fan.....Hope u make it REAL BIG one day.....And Gotcha on all those tips man..:cheers:

Hi Morning_star,

Very good info!

One question. I use speakers with an amplifier. I always wonder about the bass and treble settings for monitoring purposes. should they be in the middle(neutral or default), down or up?

Thanks

P.S.

I'm using your method with the kjearhus plugs. I already notice a big difference.

Last edited:
I like to leave monitor settings at default but what I advise you to do is play one of your favorite songs that you have heard a million times. Then try different settings until you find the best sounding setting. Then when you mix make your mix sound like the song you reference with.

I know this is an old thread, but I really want to know . why the deliberate use of cheap gear?

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I really want to know . why the deliberate use of cheap gear?
There is really no point in doing so, unless you're running on a tight budget.

I would also like to point out that any "advice" given in this thread is completely and utterly horrible and should not be followed.

Mic's, pre-amps, computers, instruments, software etc. all add up, so it is good to know that cheap/free software can be quite effective too. The advice is aimed at everyone whether they have a big budget or not.

Indeed, free/cheap software can be quite effective. However, suggesting to buy and mix on cheap monitors on purpose as the OP here did is a different story. You can't fix what you can't hear, so mixing on bad monitors isn't gonna work. Suggesting to use a limiter and a compressor on the master bus is just as bad. You should only compress when there is need to, not by default. When clipping occurs, adjust your levels. Don't rely on limiters. Limiting and/or compression of the mixdown should generally be left to the Mastering Engineer.

Apologies for not reading the initial post - I assumed this thread was about using cheap software for mastering - which is fine. Also, Morning star is a pro who has given much help to people on this forum so I assumed this to be good advice.

I'm sure there must be a reason for this advice but I do agree with most of what you have said in your last post Nyaanyaa, and to me this thread is not clear enough as to what it is about. You should try to mix on the best quality equiptment that you can and this should be mentioned. Some people do compress the master bus but I agree that this is not a default. I also do not see the point of limiting the master bus - your levels should be no-where near clipping so why the need of a limiter. If it is close then turn everything down - not limit.

I can only assume that this post was a reply to a lot of questions about mixing on a budget as it looks a little shakey when viewed on its own. Maybe Morning Star is around to explain...

Back