Thread about the APHEX 104 Aural Exciter review on this site!

well one thing i was wondering about...is the aphex exciter working on a kind of "subtractive boosting" to make things phatter? i don't understand ezzackly how it achieves the awesome results?
sounds like a rad box, heaps keen to check it out .

i-clan - basically the whole trick to this wonder box is pretty hush hush :D

lets take for example... when i first got this box i was so excited i took it straight into the analogue studio at the college where i teach.
i put one of my adats into the machine and i hit play
now the dynamic range on my mixed track went from -12 to about +2 db...... with the exciter off.

then with the exciter on the dynamic range from -4 to +2 ! now thats a lot of PHAT !!!

it generates odd harmonics thus phattenin the sound !
its totally brilliant !

"-12 to about +2 db...... with the exciter off.

then with the exciter on the dynamic range from -4 to +2"
Tricky dood, i know i should know this, but i don't - how is this a sign of xtra phatness?
generating odd harmonics to mesh with already present harmonics i can sort of understand (as i studied the harmonic series at uni).
Basically, i want one! :D

Last edited:
hmmmm okey its a bit difficult to explain... simply because i havnt seen any other device do so much to the program material....

with the exciter on the overall increase in perceived level is totally overwhelming... its like throwing an extra pair of bass bins and tops with the exciter on ! its really difficult to understand !..... do urself a favour just get one ! :D :D :D

today i discussed with some people on the Creamware Pulsar/Scope user forum, and apaprently there is an equivalent of Aural Exciter in Pulsar somewhere! I need to discuss with them about it but they seemed ot even know "big bottom" and all those terms. Must be correct then!

Can't wait to compolse more music :)
Great review Tricky again!

yeah me too! i am amping to get some stuff down into protools! possibilities are many at the moment.

funnily enough i was reading thru my sampler manual, and the A3000 has licensed the technolgy of the Exciter from Aphex, so i am actually able to utilise it as a throughput effect or one of the three chain internal effects! cool bananas :)

:Dyep!:D
i checked it out. have been doing so much visuals of late that i have lost a bit of touch with the sampler, but there it is in the effects list, clear as day! "Aural Exciter", and in the manual it says it is like, on loan or something from Aphex. stoked! i'll post a pic of it if i can.

as it is my birthday tomorrow, i am dedicating the entire day to music making and lunch with my sis, so am getting the studio all ready.
:cool:

awwwww MAN!
you guys should hear what i am using the exciter with - this effect in the a3000 called "Noisy Ambient", very trippy effect combination!!!.... and i sampled one the g4 'computer voices' saying "Time flies fast when you're having fun".

Back