Thoughts on this bass?

I don't take for granted the opportunities to practice Indaba grants me so I'll try my hands at anything I can. The latest project I got a stem out for a song called "You Think You Know" by a band called "Device", and really they are wanting "remixes", but I'm more interested in trying to "re-mix" instead if that makes any sense.

I've gotten to work and I got a mixdown/master I'm working with and now that I think about it, it seems to be that the bass may be a bit too heavy and overpowering. I don't have quality monitors to mix on, so I tend to get paranoid of things like this. Maybe someone else can give it a listen and tell me how the bass sounds for them, or any other critique is welcome as well. I've included the mixdown and original as a high quality mp3.

I'll return feedback for feedback if asked.
Thanks.
View attachment You Think (Before).mp3 View attachment You Think (Mix_Master).mp3

Last edited:
Bass is fine man.

Why are the vocals so low? Did you do that so we could focus on the bass? In addition, the hook has a lot of sibilance that needs to be tamed.

ETA: There is only one file "You think Original" where is the after file?

Last edited:
Strange, I uploaded two files and I made sure I was able to download them before leaving the thread. Can you see them now? One is "You Think (Before)" the other is "You Think (Mix_Master)".

I was planning on bringing vocals out in the mix more with some additional processing but I already had a bunch of plugs running on my mixer. My waves plugins tend to get buggy or crash a lot, especially after I load more of them.

I think what you're actually hearing is a background vocal stem provided. The strange thing about this was they didn't provide a lead vocal. In the after file I cut out all the vocals except the chorus (which is louder).

Both are showing up now.

The bass is fine. It's aggressive and "growling" like it should and it's fitting in with the kick nicely. I'd concentrate on bringing those vocals up. If are having issues with your plugins you may want to change some other settings in your DAWs software as well as rendering stems (wet/with effects applied) to make things less stressful on your computer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll get to the vocals in the meantime. I'll try rendering stems as well, my aging dual core rig shall benefit :)

Back