Are these good headphones for mixing?

crimsonhawk47

I don't know why I said headphones, I meant speakers... too late now!

I want to get into mixing right now, but I don't know if I can mix at my house or if I need to drive every time.

I have two speakers. They are Event's Project Studio 5's. It's a biamplified system.

I also have a mackie micro series 1202-vlz channel mic/line mixer. It seems kinda redundant though...It's not set up for mixing because I do all of my stuff in the box.

My audio interface is a sonar v-studio 100.

That's all I'm working with.

Last edited:
I would not even use that outboard mixer unless you're recording many sources at once

read my post on this thread on what you should have add for improving the acoustic of your room so you know what you're hearing is what you're hearing

-Coach Antonio

I would not even use that outboard mixer unless you're recording many sources at once

read my post on this thread on what you should have add for improving the acoustic of your room so you know what you're hearing is what you're hearing

-Coach Antonio
You forgot to include a link,.

So I don't really have a place to store my instruments. The room is small, and there are guitars everywhere.

I have carpet floors, wood ceilings, and walls.

My speakers are very close to me (two feet) and about 3 feet apart.

I do have some sound proof material, but not a lot. I could get more, and layer the walls with them.

But would it be beneficial to just stick some sound proof material on the outside of each speaker? They are on the ground RIGHT behind my chair.

View attachment 40254View attachment 40255View attachment 40256I moved the violin and I'll move the stool behind it, but as you can see, all I can do is put that sound material and wrap it from the speaker to my chair.

But here's a thought: Could I just get some cardboard (or something sturdy) and staple some sound proof material to it, then create half a box behind my chair? Basically encase the speakers and the entire back of my chair in a cube so that all of the sound is directed forward?

I don't really have any other place for them. I can try to make room on the desk by the computer, but it's a wooden desk that might rattle with the bass. Plus, that's where my audio interface is and it's right next to my monitor.

Which is why I was thinking of elevating the speakers then encasing them with material, all the way to my chair.

Read Above. Should I elevate them? Cause they can't go on the desk in front of me

Those Events will be just fine for mixing but placement in my opinion is probably 3x more important than the actual quality of monitors, if they cant go on a desk in front of you i would get some stands for them and put them about 3-4 feet apart at ear level in front of you, that should really help the accuracy of your mixes. These stands work well for me.. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...g&matchtype=&gclid=CMTPx6vS8bkCFaU5Qgod_3YA3g

Last edited:
I think I can get them on the desk, but the desk is wood. Will that shake the desk too much and **** things up?

I'm gonna get enough pics so you can see this whole room, cause I want to make this room as accurate as possible. BRB

This is making me do multiple posts of this but I'm gonna give you the run down. I want to make this room as accurate as possible

Here is the view of the speakers from where I would sit and work
IMG_20130929_183229_538.jpg

Here is an overall view, as you can see I have moved the speakers.
IMG_20130929_183212_259.jpg

The Speakers are on a wooden desk, right next to my audio interface and my mixboard.
IMG_20130929_183241_977.jpg

As you can see, my shelves are loaded with a bunch of sentimental shit I don't really need (and a midi)
IMG_20130929_183256_783.jpg
Behind the chair is a bunch of posters and more random stuff
IMG_20130929_183305_531.jpg
Farther to the left of the previous image
IMG_20130929_183311_502.jpg

Below is a lot of guitars
IMG_20130929_183317_790.jpg
Amps, banjo, cases
IMG_20130929_183333_902.jpg
Two Windows with curtains
IMG_20130929_183337_687.jpg
Then there's the closet, which is padded to oblivion for no noise.

Also, I didn't get a pic of the ceiling, but it's wooden.

I really don't care about the stuff around the studio, I just want to know what NEEDS to go in order to make this room accurate. Where should I get padding, and what type of padding should I use??

Im not totally sure about accoustic treatment but most people would probably say put the foam on the wall where the sound would first hit. The desk should not be a big problem with vibration with those small speakers but these speaker pads would probably help, also the banjo in the room is really sensitive to vibrations so if you remove anything, i would remove that first it may be creating some noise.

Back