Is There A Standard Db For Commercial Music (volume)

The average db level varies depending on who you ask, but I once read that the average is between -12 and -15. When I amplify and limit, I usually aim for around -14. At -14, for most songs I find that the limiter does not have to work much. When you say -3 to -10, I hope you're talking about peak, not average.

To measure average db, I use RMS Buddy. It's free here: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/extras/

RelicRecordings said:
-.00000000000000001 if you're lucky ;)
As far as peak db, -.00000000000000001 would clip on some systems. To be safe, your signal should not peak above -.2 or so

Last edited:
A_Str8 said:
The average db level varies depending on who you ask, but I once read that the average is between -12 and -15. When I amplify and limit, I usually aim for around -14. At -14, for most songs I find that the limiter does not have to work much. When you say -3 to -10, I hope you're talking about peak, not average.

To measure average db, I use RMS Buddy. It's free here: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/extras/

As far as peak db, -.00000000000000001 would clip on some systems. To be safe, your signal should not peak above -.2 or so

Yeah! Thanks a billion! I truly appreciate it!!! PEACE

A fairly standard unmastered mix in most pop genres will be about -24 to -20dBRMS with a crest of anywhere between 18 and 20dB.

Post-mastered, unfortunately, you're looking at around -12dBRMS or louder. Which is really freakin' sad, as it sounds like a$$ in most cases compared to the same source material at -15 or -14dBRMS.

Peaks are an interesting argument - Most consumer DA's are going to fall apart with higher *energy* more than higher peaks. Peaks of -0.4 or -0.3dBFS is all fine most of the time. But with a recording with a tiny crest, even that is going to overdrive the converters. The reconstructive distortion could clip the converters as far down as -4dBFS (minus FOUR - Not minus four-tenths). While with a high-quality recording with good headroom and a wide crest, you can actually clip the converters (sometimes rather hard) and hardly notice.

Back