is there a plugin that...

DaveBeatz

... can make your tracks sound like they was recorded on a reel to reel tape deck? for that old tape warmth

I mean, there's really nothing in the world that can ever sound like tape, unless you actually bounce it to tape. But, the few plugins that I know of are these: PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP Saturator, Ozone 4, All the versions of Cubase up to Cubase 4 came with one called the Magneto, but after that, they discontinued it.

I agree with DJ Spinn that answer is bang on the money. I use PSP's vintage warmer A LOT.

I LOVE IT!!! It really fattens up your sounds and gives it that true analog sound as opposed to other plugs.

I use this. There are a few different companies that make their take on it. Not 100% like the real thing but what ever is. Just look for Tape Saturation plugins.

cw_m700xm700_reeltapeSaturation.jpg

Last edited:
There are various emulations of tape. However they never get the tape vibe right.

I would suggest applying it in various degrees to different tracks. Slapping this sort
of thing on a master bus has very variable results and it just sounds like you have painted all the space
and nuance out of a mix by blanketting on fuzzy distortion.

Might I suggest

URS Saturation - Great saturation plugin, it has quite a few settings. The mix knob and Dry/wet knob are also great for dialing in sounds.

SPL makes a plug in called Twin Tube, it features both saturation and Harmonics knobs. I don't use this one a lot but I like it for certain things.

I know UAD makes a Studer Tape Machine emulation that is supposed to be the best out there, but you do need a UAD card to use it.

Back