Tempo of 93.21 bpm in double time?

BeautyTheBeat

Not sure if this is the right category for this but: Im doing my first collab and I was sent the melodies but they were done at a bpm of 93.21 and Im used to 130-140 when im making beats. Is there a faster equivalent?

If you use double tempo then your real tempo is 65-70 instead of 130-140.

If your beats are usually at a slow tempo, think of a 93.21 beat as being much faster than you're used to. Unless you're really at 130-140bpm and are calling it double tempo, even though it's not. In that case then 93.21 is much slower than you're used to.

You can't make a number 4 into a 5. They're completely different numbers and doubling or halving either are not going to be the same.

Unless you're really at 130-140bpm and are calling it double tempo, even though it's not. In that case then 93.21 is much slower than you're used to.

Im really at 130-140 so 93.21 is much slower than im used to. Ive never made a beat slower than 135.

Forgive me, I guess I'm not clear on what double time is. I keep hearing people say it in the tutorials I've been watching.

Last edited:
Double time means temporarily playing at double a song's tempo without really changing it. It's also been used as a sort of crutch for old-timey sequencers - when we only had, say, a sixteen step pattern available, one would turn up the tempo to double the actual song tempo to get more resolution & be able to insert notes between those steps. Of course, this isn't really needed with modern DAWs which are practically unlimited in resolution. Some people still choose to work this way, nothing wrong it that.

Thanks, krushing. I really didn't know how to explain it.

Sorry, OP. I thought you knew what double time meant since you used the term in the title. I checked YouTube but couldn't find a good, accurate explanation.

Double time kind of throws me off so I never liked it, but a lot of people do.

Let's say you have an audio file in your project and you have the correct tempo set and the metronome on. Let's say the tempo of that audio file is 90bpm. You can change the tempo to 180bpm and the metronome will sound twice as fast. However, the audio file and tempo will be exactly the same. The only thing that changed is that you are counting it in faster intervals. You can halve to 45 also, and the count will still be correct, but twice as slow.

Back