Super Secret MIXING/MASTERING Info!

for me best guide is screen.
Then start working in graphic design - Because you're absolutely doomed as an *AUDIO* engineer.

Screen shots of EQ's? Now I've heard everything... :monkey:

Samira said:
moses' response is too sarcastic imo.
for me best guide is screen.

comparing the equalizer with the driving is sooo sarcastic :hello:

I would say it is a pretty accurate comparison.

Aside from the fact that you can kill someone if you drive only by listening rather than watching (where a bad mix probably won't literally kill anyone), each is about as useful as the other.

Lol I see people that u have really big problem hehe.

Well......when I see something like this:

KICK:
50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom to the sound
100-250Hz ~ Adds roundness
250-800Hz ~ Muddiness Area
5-8kHz ~ Adds high end prescence
8-12kHz ~ Adds Hiss

I dont understand how to do it on the eq.

But ok, understood that here live only the masters of sound who have the amateurs deeeeep in da @@@ ;]

Samira said:

KICK:
8-12kHz ~ Adds Hiss

But ok, understood that here live only the masters of sound who have the amateurs deeeeep in da @@@ ;]

First of all, what people have a problem with is bad counterproductive information.

Second, i can see you are quoting from a post I have seen here before that contained a bunch of worthless numbers and frequency ranges.

Third, it is surely not only "masters" here, but it seems that you would prefer to ignore the "masters" that are here.

Anyway, think about it those deep low sounds like basses and kick drums have much of their relevant frequencies in the low ranges... and high sounds like snares and hats are based around the higher frequencies... and the sounds that are somewhere in the middle, like typical pianos, guitars vocals, etc, are somewhere in between...

...but that does not mean that those are the only frequencies that need to be addressed.

and you may need to accentuate those frequencies that your useless chart says are the "muddiness area" in order to make your sound more clear.

Not every bass is the same. Some have more high frequency components than others... some are really subby and some are more biting.

Not every snare is the same. Some are thin and tinny... some are bug and beefy.

You must look at each sound on its own and determine exactly what it needs.

The first thing you need to understand is that not everything you read is "good" information (like those charts you are quoting from)

Next, you need to understand that you are trying to learn and you need to be open to hearing what more experienced people have to offer you.

You need to listen to each sound on its own AS WELL AS listening to it within the context of the ENTIRE SONG. The same exact sound may be treated 2 completely different ways in 2 different situations.

A picture of an EQ setting is worthless.

Listen to the sound. Listen to how the sound is effected as you move the EQ parameters. Determine which frequencies are important to the character of that sound. Determine which frequencies boosted or cut from THAT sound effect OTHER sounds in your mix.

You need to use your ears. You need to use your brain. Pictures are worthless.

It takes years of practice. There is no way around that.

you just have to use your gear. Listen to sounds. Understand the concept of bassy low freqs and crisp tinny highs and everything in between. Listen to how everything fits together. Listen to how different sounds effect eachother. Listen to how your mix sounds when you add something or when you take something away.

experiment and learn.

Samira said:

KICK:
8-12kHz ~ Adds Hiss

How come there are so many people that use *Waves* EQ's (rather expensive, if not reasonably decent I suppose) that have no idea how to use them?

(A) No one, NO ONE I know would spend their hard-earned $$$$ on Waves products without knowing rather precisely, how to do basic "first day of class" functions (like adjusting an EQ). And (B) How is *looking* at the EQ going to help anything? If you want to boost 100Hz, BOOST 100HZ! Do you need anything other than the excellent manual that came with your rather pricey Waves plugins? There are a lot of pictures in there...

But it's not like there's some "universal" setting for *anything* -- You need to learn to listen. Looking has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on where you want your compression, on a track or on the mix. Either way, I'm more likely to put it before EQ or verb, because if you put it after them and make any changes to EQ or verb, it will usually effect the compressor settings and you'll have to go and reset your compressor settings too. So I put it first and then I can EQ and add verb without them messing up the dynamics that I've set. And many times I'll EQ after verb so that I can actually EQ my reverb. But like dyvce said, let the music tell you.....

okay man i swear - i have one question - when you have no idea where to start, how do you approach EQ and mixing?...

i guess it all really depends on how you want your **** to sound. what gets me is that i hope if i can put together some good beats, that after tweaking it to sound the way III want it to sound, someone else doesn't say "oh man you need to tweak this"

either way, you guys that do know what you're talkin about are givin some REAL good advice that people can pick up from

Last edited:
okay man i swear - i have one question - when you have no idea where to start, how do you approach EQ and mixing?...
First, you need to learn how to listen.

WatchWhatHappens1204 said:
okay man i swear - i have one question - when you have no idea where to start,

It's not time to start...

I can't come up with some really insightful metaphor to explain how many ways this inkling of a thought is wrong.

Babylonian said:
ive always thought this was what mastering meant. follow what you hear to make it better, too bad i just still dont know how to use things to make it better other than the equalizer and other things i use to follow my ear, so my beats sound fine, but if i were to record something...id be lost

Yea me too ....I been doing this on my track recorder all this time and didnt know...matter fact it has a master patch ......I just learn how to patch effects to diffrerent tracks today....I feel very good aboout myself when I learn something new I never knew at first....

Know that I have a true understanding of what mastering means....I will try my best to use my ears in the mix....Thanks...

I think it would be important that people understand that "master track" and "master buss" and "master buss processing" have absoutley, positively nothing to do with "mastering."

Just like "fencing" has absolutely nothing to do with fences.

i think i threw you guys off a lil bit. in any case, i'm okay as far as EQ for now, until i'm doin my mixes the way i want em to sound, and someone like i said before comes along havin no idea what they're talkin about and is like "i think this bass is too flat or deep yada yada"

MASSIVE Mastering said:
I think it would be important that people understand that "master track" and "master buss" and "master buss processing" have absoutley, positively nothing to do with "mastering."

Just like "fencing" has absolutely nothing to do with fences.

LMAO great example

Gear affects how the (vocals) sounds aswell if you have good gear, you will get a nice sound, low end- well then we'll have ato work a little bit harder to get that sound.

I have my rode nt1a and a focusrite twin trak which im beginning to learn and tweak, I found the impedeance feature on my pre turned up the highs too much on the vocals with the mic I use, because that's what it controls the vocals freq, so now im going to adjust my pre to what I feel will sit right based on some recordings I do.

Lexicon omega is the interface which has the convertor's to send the signal to my pc when I track.

I also believe I have low end gear. When I record I dont normalise my vocals, I tweak and add some 7 band eq's and do a little here and there to get it sitting right in the mix.

When I do a south song the 808 bangs so hard the tracks sound muddy so what I do is Eq the kicks, cause the kicks are the bass. and also eq them aswell so my vocals cut through and not feel faint.

These examples are what everyone else is saying, nobody can tell me to do this, I can hear it. Why? Because I compare tracks to myself and its been great as a learning tool. From Daz dillinger, Dj quik, to Dr Dre, everyone has a nice presence on the mic yet the instruments shine.

Beginner's might need to learn there eq's and compressors and see how they work and apply them and experiment. There's no rule or law for eq settings nor a master table that will work everytime because every beat and vocal is an equation. We need to find the formula with our ear's and apply the programs which will affect the music to give a great solution. Which is great sound.

Anybody have any tips for me on my post it's fine I'm still learning.

Last edited:
does your mix lack bottom? is it missing that clear mid sound.
do you have a high end noticeable to be heard.listen to great songs you enjoy listening to. they all have these qualities, and you get the sound by listening to what's missing. what's not there and needs to be.

this is B.S. - If you get a good sound, and people like it, you have done a good job...PERIOD. All this other technical hogwash is for internet producers, not real producers. I know future producers has a lot of people trying to get better. Its a great site for all of us...but lets never think that you have to have the mos expensive gear and training. Sgt. Peppers was recorded on a four track. So, basically, you have the ear or you don't. Eat a fart.

no b.s. you mentionted the beatles and four track recording, and quoted great sound. you cannot seperate great music, great producers, and great sound from what you are able to hear. i dont know about your ear, but when i listen to a track the best sounding are the one's where the freq's are felt and heard. some people want to get away from basic laws, and claim they threw agroove up in the air and what fell down was a masterfully mixed creation. maybe that works for you.
i'd rather mix by what sounds good once i at least follow laws of what you cannot get around. four track or 48.

Hey guys!
I gotta agree with you here! I remember reading article after article in scratch, remix and so on... I remember an article from timbaland and just blaze..

They both kind of touched on the fact that in the mix and mastering sessions - you gotta really go "WITH" the track. While it's important to ensure that no sounds override or clash each other - don't be afraid to let things 'clip' or 'distort' just a little bit... Sometimes that distorition sets the mood or vibe of the track.

That doesn't mean to totally boost all your sounds by 4 db...I found that a quick distortion on the kick, works well.. But make sure in the final mix that all the melodies and other precussions dont interfear with it.. That's when the distortion works against you in terms of sound quality!

I've always had that problem with mix and mastering - it's getting the track at the right 'loud' levels. I found that if you keep your winamp/windows media player handy - and just play your track and then listen to the quality and loudness of a professionally produced track - it helps in the process.

I also gotta agree with you - mix and mastering is something that takes time - ALOT OF TIME... So if you feel like mix and mastering is not up your ally - get another team member to help you with that..

Just blaze has Ryan West.
Timbaland has that girl - (Can't remember her name!)

Mix and mastering can make you literally hate the track you're working on because you hear it so much.. Only way to combat that is to take it slow - give it days if you need to.. Don't overwork yourself and just remember - the goal is to make a good sounding mix - close to as perfect as you can...

Kanye West
"I always wanted to make good music..I would try and get the final mix as CLOSE TOO as perfect as it is in my head.."

Even Kanye would have to agree... It will never be as perfect as you want.. You can get it close to as perfect as you can.. But dont aim for pure perfection!

Anyways peeps, that's a lot out of my lil mouth!

Take care guys! Great article.

Back