Are studio speakers needed?

T

TDe1

is it a need to have studio speakers or even sub-buffers?

studio monitors yes of course. You want a flat representation of the sound so you can mix them. Its also good to have reference speakers so you can see what it would sound like in another system. Subs are not really required. From what I know your not suppose to mix with bass on either way ( your not suppose hear the bass just feel it, but that all depends in the song too ) Its good to have monitors for mixing ( woofers not really necessary) my two cents.

It's good to have an output chain you can rely on. I don't know what I'd do without a sub, doesn't mean the next guy needs one. It's all about finding a chain that works for you, but don't be fooled into only classifying things labeled as "monitors" as a solution.

Most cheap monitor setups can aguably(meaning opinion tends to stray both ways, but enough that it's always a debate)be outperformed by speakers in the same pricerange, and once you get to a pricerange where that statement isn't true...things start being referred to as both "speakers" and "monitors" depending on the consumer.

Examples include Dynaudios, JBLs, Yamahas...once you get past the "8" monitors" you get into a field where things don't need such classifications to boost egos.

So don't think KRK RP5s are any more "accurate" than Polk, Sony, or Yamaha 5" Bookshelves hooked to a halfway decent amp.

Last edited:
do you need them... NO.. but you should have them depending on how serious you are with music.. i through a bunch of shit together on ipod headphones way back when and randomly got a placement with soulja boy.. so i can never say you NEED em..

Simple answer.. yes.

Complicated answer... not if you're insanely good with your craft.

There are really no rules when it comes to making music. But until you're a serious professional, you should pretend like their are rules. It'll help you. It's easy to get held back if you don't have any type of structure when first starting out. Monitors are a great buy... unless you have another form of accurate monitoring available. Stay away from just using headphones.... you'll want to hear it in open space mostly.

Last edited:
Yes. Especially for studio recording haha.
But a good pair of headphones can already to a great job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Studio monitors are important because you want to have some form of reference that will give you a close to accurate representation of whats really going on in your mix however I strongly believe in listening to my mixes on regular speakers like cheap computer/laptop speakers, car speakers etc. When you can make your mixes translate on small bad speakers, theirs a good chance your mix will sound great across the board.

Yes, if you are serious about your craft, but I have heard well mixed tracks on headphones and computer speakers. It's all about knowing your speakers and how they compare to other speakers in the world. Take your mix into your car, home stereo, etc. to compare. You will eventually learn where to compensate in your mixes. ALSO, it doesn't matter how flat your monitor response is if you don't have proper room acoustics. When I got studio monitors my mixes still sounded like garbage, but when I did research, and acoustically treated my room my mixes drastically improved. Check them out at the link in my signature.

I recommend buy two sets of monitors, a set of PC speakers and professional monitors as well.

Back