Stereo vs Mono REverb???

D

DJ Ransom

I run cubase, and the send effects r mono i think???...does that mean that if i use a reverb as a send effect, it 's not gonna be applied to to the left and right side/channel of a stereo track...??

...does this matter? if so how do i get around this???...can i put a reverb as an insert effect on a group channel??...will that help?

....what i'm doing now is using reverb as a send effect, but i'm routing the send to a group , so that i can eq the reverb signal...another thing i wanted to know was whether this reverb sound should be panned, or maybe delayed??...in order to avoid things getting too muddy....?

Any tips/help??

Thanx....

Try panning the dry signal left and the reverb mono return right. This is an old skool technique. It is also possible to send a stereo panned feed to a reverb by use of a stereo aux or carefull control of two mono ones. You do this to try and keep the placement of the revrb instument similar to its panning in the dry mix.

DJ Ransom said:
I run cubase, and the send effects r mono i think???...does that mean that if i use a reverb as a send effect, it 's not gonna be applied to to the left and right side/channel of a stereo track...??
The sends themselves are mono, but the fx can be stereo (reverbs tend to be). As an experiment use a reverb with a long pre-delay on a send on a soloed channel which is panned hard left or right. You'll hear your orignal sound in one speaker and then your reverb will appear in both speakers. With headphones on you should be able to hear that the both sides are different.

DJ Ransom said:
....what i'm doing now is using reverb as a send effect, but i'm routing the send to a group , so that i can eq the reverb signal
In order to do this in cubase you'll need to route the send to a group channel, then use the reverb as an insert effect and then inserting an eq next in the chain. Actually, I'm not 100% on that, but I think that the eq section comes before the insert fx section in the signal path, which would mean that you would be eq-ing the send signal rather than affected signal.

HTH,
KasioRoks

Back