Starting an After School Music Production Club...

NathanSynth

Hey guys.

I'm a high school science teacher (4 years post college) and ever since I was in high school myself I've had a passion for making beats and later developed full-blown love of music production, creating albums and mixtapes, managing artists, DJing, publishing, etc. I was doing that all throughout my college years whenever I had spare time.

Last year I made a remix to my school's alma mater song and I was surprised to get so much positive attention from that. Students were surprised that I was into making beats. I had kids asking me to send them beats, better yet, kids asking me to teach them the art of beat making.

I began imaging the idea of combining my 2 talents ---> teaching the kiddos + music production! Sounds like a dream come true, right?

So this past summer I've been taking notes on what would be the best way to implement an after school club where kids can come in and begin learning the fine art of music production / beat making.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to what are the fundamentals that students would need to know? How should I introduce the topics? Another concern is over resources...I'd have to fund this program all out my own pocket, most likely. What are some cheap ways to get kids hands-on gear for recording?

Thanks in advance! All input is welcome

Sounds like a great idea. I can't really give you much advice on teaching. I'm not sure how I learnt anything... I can't recall what the fundamentals are.

But I can offer an observation. A lot of the posts on this forum are "how do I recreate X sound from Y track". Maybe you could do lessons built around recreating some aspect of popular tracks. The internet is filled with content you could rip off for that.

this is sick. but it'd be hard to teach the basics of arranging, sound selection, mixing, etc. without boring them. i like what MarcDHall mentioned about recreating sounds from popular tracks, that could gather their attention, and then while youre at it you could throw in some tips on the other essentials of music production.
good luck man hope it all goes well

Back