Staccato strings problem

L

LindenGarcia18

I'm using some old AKAI strings samples.

I compared these samples to that of EW and LASS at college, and it was safe to say they we're just as good, even though they're from 1997!

There's just one problem though.

They're JUST samples.

With East West or LA scoring strings, you are purchasing an interface, a plugin, WITH a sample library.

These interfaces allow you to have huge control over the samples in the way they work, and the samples have been manipulated to fit the plugin.

For example.

East West randomly generates upward bow, and downward bow strikes on the instrument, when playing staccato notes.

These old AKAI samples do not. They have no inface to control them to do so, they are just samples. Fantastic samples that rival the best in terms of quality, just not dynamic when you come to staccato notes.

The problem only arises, obviously, when I'm wanting to record a fast staccato section. The samples lack the downward bow motion, so it sounds artificial.

Is there any way I can make this sound more realistic? Obviously I don't have any downward bow samples for the same note, but I was wondering if I could play around with some of the settings in the sampler.

I've thought of automating the EQ, altering pitch, velocity, what could I do?

Thanks

- Linden

nothing you do can emulate or simulate a downward bow movement if you only have the upward bow movement to begin with - this is because the sounds are distinct and different an upward thrust of the bow starts towards the tip and moves the bow-hair across the string so that the frog (base of the bow) eventually arrives at the m this sound tends to be lighter in texture than the complementary down-bow where the movement starts at the frog and moves towards the tip string - a down-bow usually has more bite (hair, rosin and string noise) than an up-bow.

You may have some downward bow samples that you can adjust the sustain on - i.e. edit the sustain portion out (the same section you would use a s the loop point in creating a longer sustained note) leaving only the attack and release of each note

nothing you do can emulate or simulate a downward bow movement if you only have the upward bow movement to begin with - this is because the sounds are distinct and different an upward thrust of the bow starts towards the tip and moves the bow-hair across the string so that the frog (base of the bow) eventually arrives at the m this sound tends to be lighter in texture than the complementary down-bow where the movement starts at the frog and moves towards the tip string - a down-bow usually has more bite (hair, rosin and string noise) than an up-bow.

You may have some downward bow samples that you can adjust the sustain on - i.e. edit the sustain portion out (the same section you would use a s the loop point in creating a longer sustained note) leaving only the attack and release of each note

Thanks.

Looking now, each folder for whatever instrument type, has two samples, both sounding slightly different.

Are these likely to be down and up variations?

Back