Sound treating me room w/ 1” foam

ryy_music

soundcloud.com/ryy_music
I’m Looking to soundproof my room in order to record vocals in it. It’s about a 150 square-foot room give or take, the flooring is already carpet and I’m looking to cover about 80% of the walls and ceiling in 1 inch thick acoustic foam. Will 1” foam be thick enough to absorb the reflection. The 2” in a bit pricey.

Do not use foam. Instead use Owens Corning 703 or the equivalent. Knauf make an equivalent. You will have to go to a construction place, not your typical home improvement store. Or look online. It's cheaper and actually works. foam doesn't really work. Don't make more than 50% of the room absorption. Start with bass traps and then first reflection points. Then if it's still too reflective, start treating other areas of the walls.

Foam works for high end reflections, does nothing for bass/corner loading, etc. You could use a mix of both if you are on a budget and you have an idea of what you're doing. If not, stick with Chris' advice above.

It is not "soundproofing," it is sound treatment.

GJ

Last edited:
Do you reckon I start with the bass traps and then see if those work and if not then get the Owens Corning 703 or are you saying use it in bass trap areas first?
Do not use foam. Instead use Owens Corning 703 or the equivalent. Knauf make an equivalent. You will have to go to a construction place, not your typical home improvement store. Or look online. It's cheaper and actually works. foam doesn't really work. Don't make more than 50% of the room absorption. Start with bass traps and then first reflection points. Then if it's still too reflective, start treating other areas of the walls.

I'm saying to make bass traps out of 703 first. Then make first reflection absorbers out of 703. Then if you still need the room dryer, make more absorbers out of 703. No foam. Foam has it's (very limited) place where it works, but not in your situation. There is zero foam in my studio.

Back